House renovation where to start? Help needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just purchased a 3 bed house, it's in reasonable condition, just needs bringing into the 21st century!
My question I need help with is where should I start?
These are the things we think need doing, which order should I tackle them in?

New bathroom
Redecorate throughout
New kitchen/dinner (poss knock a wall down to crate more space and put in patio doors to garden?)
Wooden floor needs some replacement and polishing etc
Overhaul garden
Replaster some ceilings

So basically the lot, please someone advice on the order I should tackle this in?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi Lucyelliot
Without seeing the property, I can only make a few general comments based on personal experience.
Firstly don't be tempted to rush into anything, take your time, and do the research.

Make absolutely sure the property is weather tight, check the roof etc.

Look at any structural work, there may be a delay if approval is needed.

Have the electrics checked out, some updating may be required. at the same time think if you need any more power points installed.

Check the plumbing and heating. Install an outside tap.

Bear in mind that plumbers and electricians will no doubt need to lift floor boards for access to pipes and cables, especially over the kitchen area.

It's a very good idea to leave the new kitchen to much later in the proceedings. It can be convenient to have an old sink to provide water for the trades involved, and for cleaning equipment, even your paint brushes. A nice new kitchen is just too easy to damage if other work is being carried out.

I wish you all the best with the project.

When I moved house, I just took it a room at a time. I didn't select which room I was decorating/whatever else specifically, I just did what one I felt like doing! But always have a plan before doing ANYTHING! If you're looking to extend your kitchen, it might be an idea to do this first as it lets you know what your house will look like at the end a little better. I'd always look to do the hallway at the end, too. Maybe that's just personal preference!

I'm nearly 2 years into our renovation of our 1886 3-bed semi.

We didn't move in until 6 months after purchase and used it to get all of the nasty jobs done.
Knocked holes in walls, ripped out the kitchen and bathroom, replaced ceilings, installed double glazing throughout, rewired throughout, new gch throughout, stripped and skimmed throughout, replaced the bathroom and decorated the bedroom so we had one clean retreat.
Eventually moved in and have since been decorating, installed a kitchen but there's still loads to do.

Good luck! ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Start with the dirtiest jobs and work down to the cleanest. I also like to work towards the front door ie the hall is the final job. If you're thinking of knocking two rooms into one and adding patio doors that's where I'd start.

You might want some more wall sockets. The window boards might be a mess. Coving okay? Heating system? Radiators? Architraves and skirting? Doors? Lighting circuits okay? Outdated fuse box? A modern one is much safer, and I think required with a new kitchen. Fireplace? Windows? Smoke alarms?

Do the garden last, although a new hedge could be started using bare root plants as they take time to establish.

As said, do structural stuff, then messy stuff, and paint and decorate last.

Live in it as it is for a few months, you may be surprised to find that your initial ideas & plans alter as you see how things like daylight & shadow influence your choices of colour, plus you'll get a better idea of how you want the house to be.
As already mentioned do all the necessary maintenance work first, then any structural alterations, plumbing and rewiring finally flooring and decorate.
Enjoy

The advice from richardrich79 is the best advice. The initial plans will change as you live in and experience the house and the way you live in it.

Good advice from the last 2 posts - live with it for a while. You may be surprised how priorities change as you live in a house and what seems like a good idea before moving in may not work as well after.

It sounds like you haven't tackled anything like this before so take stock before you get too involved as it can be quite overwhelming and seem never-ending.

We decided to do the bedrooms first as they were upstairs and meant that when we were finished working downstairs then at least we could got to bed in a nice clean fresh room. Im doing the living room and the dining room next but the kitchen will be last

I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I took out the wall between my kitchen and dining room, next will be replacing the dining room window with french doors.

Agree with a lot of what is already posted, I with I had stripped out all the carpets straight away rather than working around them.

Apart from that have a very good look at all the electrics and plumbing. I have found all sorts of issues in my house some of which were lethal.

Also if you want to alter the layout go and meet the neighbours and see what changes they have made to see if you like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back