Installing Steel rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently having a double extension one side and a single flat roof next to it, I have steel beams that go over a set of french doors and also sitting on these two rsj's that go into my house now.

On the plans it says i need to provide 100 x 150 mm x 250 mm PC beams as padstones below beams at both ends? for all 4 .

Please can anyone tell me what a pc beam is as a padstone? I have not heard of this before, even the brickies where a little confused by this?

Appreciate the help.

thanks

Shaun

Sponsored Links
i could be wrong but I think PC is short for precast. I think they are suggesting using part of a precast beam as a padstone.

possibly because padstones are not normally in the dimensions stated.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Where would I get a pre cast pad stone from? Could we not make our own? I.e with ballast concrete etc.
Thanks for your time.
Shaun

I've seen cut concrete lintels and concrete kerbstones used as padstones before. Not sure if this helps....

Sponsored Links
Thanks. They do indeed look like what I need thank you!! We have already made our own and out the steel on them. I guess we will have to Akro the steel up and replace the padstones. Was worried they meant a metal beam so that is good.

I will just add that if it was me, and I wasn't 100% sure what the plans meant, i would phone the structural engineer and find out. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would say so long as you provide the same dimensions padstone then casting them yourself from mass concrete shouldn't be a problem

see that is what I thought?

Maybe i can speak to the building control to check if they would want me to get pre cast padstones or if I can make them ourselves.

Thanks for your messages.

True, but wouldn't it be down to building contorl to pass it?

So I could use our own made and they say this is not what is stated in the drawings and spec.

True, but wouldn't it be down to building contorl to pass it?

So I could use our own made and they say this is not what is stated in the drawings and spec.
Building control may just ask if the engineer has approved the change.. so why not just go back to him first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back