Old loft 'conversion' - renovation questions..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Bought a semi detached house that was built in 1890. Previous owners boarded, carpeted and covered up roof timbers etc in one of the two lofts. They fitted a sink with cold and hot water supply and drainage...etc for use as a dark room for photography. There was also a home made window installed in the side of roof....not protruding or anything...I guess like a velux but single glazed and ancient.

I believe this was done at least 20 years ago. Was not advertised as an extra bedroom ...etc. So - floor seems pretty sound but is only 1.8m to the apex of ceiling and is the tallest part. floor is rectangular about 3m x 6m. access via fitted loft ladder and hatch.

To create more useful space - got plumber in to dismantle sink and water pipes..etc

Decided space would be great to use as a den for kids and or homework...etc.

A few months later- a large leak appeared near the old window in the 'converted' loft. got roofer guy in who said timber frame of window was knackered and causing leak. decided to replace old window with a velux and had it fitted by a carpenter / builder. its about 75cm from floor and goes into the space where old window was. Will get fire escape ladder and got some more smoke alarms as well as a c02 alarm as well.

as boards were badly damaged by leak, had to replace them and fitted sheepswool insulation into roof. boarded over with MDF and papered over with thermal insulation paper. Now ready to paint. have

I had always assumed that because it was such an old existing 'conversion' I could re insulate and redecorate and use this as a homework / den for kids and some storage.....considering that previous owner used it as a hobby room for the last 20 odd years.....I now feel I could be contravening LA regulations. I am loathed to bring in a council jobsworth with his clipboard who may force me to rip it all out. Help and advice is needed please!

Sponsored Links
Having kids up in a loft using it as a Den is pretty dumb, it will be the first place in the house to fill with smoke should the worse happen. That said I played in our loft as a kid. Still these things always happen to someone else.

so your opinion then is that a loft whether fully passed all its regs or not..is not suitable for children at all? so if a fire starts in the kitchen. ..how can the loft be the first place that fills with smoke? assuming by 'the worst' you mean fire.

The "smoke" that kills is not always visible. The fumes that kill are often invisible such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and the numerous toxic gases that are created when plastics and resins ( as in MDF furniture ) burn.

They are hot and thus rise to the highest point in the house. A person in the loft could be unconscious or dead due to these gases before the fire was noticed by anyone else in the house.

Sponsored Links
so no one should convert a loft then..or ever spend more than 10 minutes in one? I fully understand how deadly co2 and other gases can be which is why I have invested in 2 new smoke detectors and another c02 alarm...that will be in the loft itself.

my question was really about existing conversions done 20 odd years ago and whether or not the LA can force you to not use ir for anything other than for storage.

my question was really about existing conversions done 20 odd years ago and whether or not the LA can force you to not use ir for anything other than for storage.
As local authorities tend to have different "interpretations" of the rules you need to ask your local authority

I have invested in 2 new smoke detectors and another c02 alarm...that will be in the loft itself.
Are they inter-connected ?

the smoke alarms are not interconnected. thanks for the advice. ..definitely not something to compromise on. which ones would you recommend?

the smoke alarms are not interconnected. thanks for the advice. ..definitely not something to compromise on. which ones would you recommend?
Talk to the Fire Prevention Officer at your local fire station, they will have the best local advice.

A safe loft conversion is safe, relatively speaking. An unsafe one is not. A place for homework becomes a Den becomes a great place for a sleepover etc etc. There your kids mate! :rolleyes:

A safe loft conversion is safe, relatively speaking. An unsafe one is not. A place for homework becomes a Den becomes a great place for a sleepover etc etc. There your kids mate! :rolleyes:

thanks for your cryptic comment. .don't really know what you are saying. .a safe conversion is a safe conversion. ...and homework leads to sleep overs...? really odd...

Not really. But feel free to place me on Ignore.

why so hostile..I came to this forum to hopefully get some advice from more experienced members ...but seems I was mistaken. ..Instead I get condescending childish responses like this.

You've been offered advice yet you seem to have all the answers so it seems confusing why you bothered posting?

You've been offered advice yet you seem to have all the answers so it seems confusing why you bothered posting?

So I guess you wouldn't advocate living in flats or townhouses, or perhaps any building with more than 2 storeys?

You haven't offered advice, advice suggests it would be something of use.

To the OP, you will need to check with your individual council. From the description I cant see why you need to inform the council but councils can be so wildly different you never know.

I would ring their planning dept. and ask the question hypothetically.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back