Search results

  1. S

    Planning Application - objecting to leaseholder application

    One of the basic premises of the planning system is that anyone can apply for planning permission for anything they want, provided they serve the correct legal notices on the freeholder of the land and anyone with a leasehold interest with seven or more years remaining on their term. The...
  2. S

    Mixing Lime Mortar

    Cheers Kevin, I suspected as much. As for using hydrated lime, I was under the impression that hydraulic and hydrated are not the same.
  3. S

    Certificate of Lawfulness

    The Council is not obliged to notify neighbours about applications for lawful development certificates. However, when dealing with applications to establish whether existing uses or works are lawful by virtue of the ten and four year rules, it's sometimes useful to ask the neighbours if they...
  4. S

    Mixing Lime Mortar

    Hello folks, I planning to make a lime mortar for some brickwork in a fireplace using hydraulic lime NHL3.5. Now I now that when using non-hydraulic lime you usually make a lime putty well in advance and then wait a few days before adding the sand. I just want to know whether the same applies...
  5. S

    Neighbours down lights - no fire caps and sound leakage

    You must have spoken to the planning team's monkey, not the organ grinder. The installation of downlights in a ceiling is a heritage matter that comes within the remit of the planning team. If the lights have been installed without listed building consent, then she's committed a criminal act. If...
  6. S

    Side Extension Questions

    The fundamental question is whether the use of render constitutes a material of "similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse". Clearly, from the OP's first post, the use of render is an alien material. So, for the purpose of submitting an...
  7. S

    help - need to oppose a neighbours conservatory !!!

    You're confusing sunlight and daylight, woody. A different kettle of fish entirely. More to the point, however, if you install windows on the side elevation of an extension, right on the boundary of your curtilage, planners will consider them to be 'bad neighbour windows' (often referred to...
  8. S

    convert one house into two

    If you live in Northern Ireland, you want to be looking at the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991. The definition of development in Section 55(3)(a) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 is irrelevant, as it covers only England and Wales.
  9. S

    New Lawn and Worm Problems?

    Come on, you're not seriously telling us that worms casts are damaging your mower blades! Worm casts are a fact of life at this time of year when the lawn surface is moist and the soil is still reasonably warm. The casts may look a bit scruffy but the worms are aerating the soil and actually...
  10. S

    Planning permission for decking

    BUMP The Planning Act is quite clear on this issue: where the ground slopes or is uneven you're entitled to take the highest ground level where the structure meets the ground. As your garden appears to slope away from your house, the highest ground level will be nearest the house. If that...
  11. S

    Planning help required

    Google "Gummer's Law" and you'll get a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to get planning permission for a new house in the Green Belt. Unless you've got millions to spend and you plan to build a country mansion, you're flogging a dead horse.
  12. S

    Quick question for Planning Experts!

    As Damo says, it's a grey area, but I'd include one, even if it's only a basic pro forma downloaded from the council website. In my view, an HMO use is a type of residential use. D&A statements are only required for non-residential applications. However, applicants have become so used to...
  13. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    Frank, I know you think the window issue is daft, but when you make an application for a lawful development certificate you're asking a basic question of the local authority: "Is what I've built, or about to build, within the parameters of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted...
  14. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    Did your neighbour apply for a lawful development certificate and then build the dormer, or did he build it and then apply for the certificate? From what you've written previously, I assume it's the former. It's difficult to see definitely from the photos you've posted, but it seems to me that...
  15. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    Not sure I follow you. Where are you quoting from when you refer to the front of the eaves? The 2008 Order doesn't make any mention of this. Basically, if you started building works after 1 October 2008, the link I gave you in my earlier post applies. Are you quite sure your neighbour's...
  16. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    The wider issues first: 1) People quote the Planning Portal as if it's the definitive work on PD. It isn't. It's a bloke at the CLG disseminating badly drafted Statutory Instruments, written in haste by civil servants, none of whom have ever submitted an application, nor had determine to one...
  17. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    Jeds, can you post the link? Clearly I and Richmond don't agree with this interpretation. And there are good reasons not to, not least the fact that you can increase the depth of the eaves at the rear of a house under PD (Schedule 2, Part 1, Class C). Under your interpretation, you could build...
  18. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    You have six months from the date of the decision to lodge an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate. But without seeing the letter from Richmond, it's impossible to know whether its an enforcement letter. I suspect the enforcement letter will follow later, if at all. Unlike the letter stating...
  19. S

    Buying a house that's extended-no PP-regularisation cert?

    It's four years Freddy. A rare lapse for you ;)
  20. S

    Permitted Development and 200mm setting back from eaves

    Quite the contrary! The assumption is that your plans are accurate until the council can prove that they are not. You are therefore innocent until proven guilty. This all sounds a little odd. I wouldn't normally negotiate on an application for a lawful development certificate. It would either...