£110/hr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was chatting to my auntie yesterday and she said she had a problem with her expansion tank overflowing recently, plumber charged £110/hr! Is this a typical price? If so I'm glad we're renting and that the landlord has to pay for all the work!

Sponsored Links
Bloody wish it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

depends on the area she lives, would say if she lives in a city centre then probably the average

but I know not of any company that charges quite that much

think it was probably an emergency callout, as the water was exiting through the ceiling rather than the overflow pipe!

area=suburb of bournemouth

Sponsored Links
Most I've charged I think is £185 for an hour + 1 hour travel at 3am in in the morning.

Usual rate is £45 for first hour, £35 there after for repair work, charged at time and a half evenings and weekends (£67.50 & 52.50), most reapirs only take an hour.

The "call-out" companies charge about £55 plus vat per half-hour in the London area.

One actually removed an expansion vessel to "take it to the filling station" to repressurise it. I immagine they sat in their van round the corner reading the newspaper after usin the foot pump !

Tony

Emergency call out £75 on a Sunday £45 rest of week.

Won't go out for tenants unless they pay and recoup it from landlord, since so many landlords never pay. When I tell the tenants this that usually gets me out of the job. Don't need emergency work, it gets in the way of our routine work so if someone says they'll keep looking we say yipee to ourselves and get on with our busy schedule.

We insist not just on being paid by the tenants but being paid in cash before we start.

Thought we had got one sussed last week but different tenants "did not know" where the first had put the money. Said they would cycle it to our office later that day. Week later and still waiting!

Tony

can you trust plumbers who want all the money up front? I think not

Anyone who does that are cowboys, yes people want a deposit but if they want it all up front find a different plumber

heh heh! plumbers can't trust punters and punters can't trust plumbers. why can't we all just have a group hug and be friends ;)

The tv has got it all wrong, in thius area we used to say 1 in 10 customers are bad, that's probably 1 in 5 now. I don't know any legitimate tradesmen in this town like the few the tv programs have found who fit unnecesary parts or spend hours cleaning pipes. We have so much opthere work we just want to get out of there as quick as ever we can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back