£1000 nightmare!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed electric under floor heating mat system in my kitchen firstly the mat was laid out on the existing concrete floor then it was covered with flexible latex leveling compound, When the leveling was completely dry i started to tile. The electric mat required the use of a highly flexible tile adhesive this i used and have left the finished tiled floor to dry for 3days however ten days later the tiles still sound hollow in the middle when tapped, i decided to investigate why as they had been laid on trowelled base when i lifted one of the tiles there was some resistance but when it was eventually up i could see the in the centre of the tiles the adhesive was still damp!
Could it be that the tiles i have are wrong or could it be that the adhesive is wrong either way this appears to be a very expensive **** up!
ANY IDEAS?

Sponsored Links
What make & type of adhesive did you use, what are the tiles ceramic, porcelain or natural stone? Also what size are the tiles and what size notch did you use.

Jason

Why not switch the heating on to cure it a little quicker?

joe

I use evo stick ready mixed flexible tile adhesive for concrete floors as recommended by the electric mat supplier.
The tiles are ceramic and are 40cm by 40cm.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if you had a wet floor, e.g. concrete with no dpc, or leaking pipe under it? This is not unusual in a kitchen. I once had one where the underground cold main was leaking but the resultant damp had been obscured by a dripping sink waste above it.

Otherwise, could it just be it has not had time to dry out fully yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back