£500 + VAT for a pressured system flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem with 2 rads not working has now extended to a loss in pressure from the old boiler. Had the boys in and they recon it needs a pressured system flush to see if there is a blockage. The flat is 1000 sq ft and has 7 rads, is it me or does that sound expensive, I thought it was more like £35 per rad?

I am also worried that a pressured system flush may cause a pipe to burst, is this a possibility or are the systems designed to take it - I am concerned as it is a first floor flat and it is quite old.

Any advice would be very helpful....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try taking them all off yourself and flushing through with a hose first.
Then balance your system.

Is the supply pipework to these rads getting hot by the way? :D

Turn off all the other rads and try the pipes to see if they get hot. If not, then you need to flush out the blockage, etc. :D

Sponsored Links
Is your system pipe work in plastic. If it is then you could have problems trying to clear the blockage as I've seen it having to be chipped out of pipes with a screwdriver, pressure seen holding several bar and not moving it. So go canny.

all pipe work is copper, not plastic.

I think the flush is the only way forward as there is clearly a blockage....

If there's a blockage, a powerflush is pointless. If it's blocked nothing can flow. The only solution is to find the blockage and remove it.

One guy got me in to do a powerflush, but his problem was siezed valves, so I fixed them. He didn't need a flush.

I don't understand your question, but would like to understand you problem.

Do you have two out of 7 rads not working at all?

What do you mean by loss of pressure from the old boiler?

Have you tried hitting the bad rads and especially around the valves with a rubber mallet or the but of a rubber hammer effing hard as you dare until water goes round the rads?

Hi Paul,
Right here is the problem. 2 of the 7 rads don't work at all, the supply pipes are not even warm. The pressure guage on the boiler is at 0.1bar, so I have filled it up via the supply tap until the pressure reaches 1 bar.

When the heating kicks in the pressure rises to 2.5 bar as you would expect. When the heating goes off the pressure drops to 0.1 bar again.

There is no water coming from the overflow pipe so my imdeiate thought was that there was a leak, hence why I called in a plumber. They have advised a power flush to try and unblock the rads. If that doesn't work they suggest replacing the boiler.

The strange thing is that the inflow pipe on the boiler gets as hot as the out flow pipe, so there is circulation.

I am totally stuck and just worried that I have a leak that is getting worse and I live on the first floor and don't want to upset my neighbours downstairs

I am hoping to get a second opinion today but if this rings any bells with any professionals out there then that would be good!

Thanks

Someone should check your expansion vessel. It probably has no air in it. To check for leaks, put 1 bar in and leave the boiler off. If there's a leak the pressure will drop.

is it me or do people think that 1 bar to 2.5 bar pressure change from hot to cold is a bit much? is water coming out of your PRV release pipe?

no, there is no water escaping, incidently I don't think 1 bar to 2.5 bar is too much but I do think 0.1 bar to 2.5 bar is!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back