1.9 sdi Golf starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5 year old 1.9 sdi Golf which until very recently was very reliable it had never failed to start 1st time in the 3 years that I have had it.
1st garage couldn't find anything wrong they thought it was the glow plugs but they checked out okay they thought it maybe the engine management system and sent me to a auto electrician. After changing a relay which didn't need changing and the car being off the road and in the garage for a week. I was told it was fuel starvation, some cars have mechanical fuel pumps or electric fuel pumps but the Golf has a pressurised system and what appears to happen that when stood for a long time the fuel slowly drops back and into the tank, so on turning the key there is no fuel to start the engine. I am sceptical so first of all is it in a pressurised system? and if so what can I change to keep the fuel pressurised?

Thanks in advance
I am becoming desperate.
Michael

Sponsored Links
Bit of a weird system on these and i dont fully understand it myself, but some of this may help!

On the fuel tank there is a "gravity" valve, which is supposed to let fuel forward, but not back to the tank.
There is also a breather valve...... if this is blocked then the fuel wont flow forward to the engine. This should be able to be ruled out by trying to run the car with the filler cap off (or so logic says to me anyway!)
On the drivers side inner wing, there are a couple of solenoids which run to the injector pump and the exhaust system (EGR valves). could well be a problem there with one of the vaccuum pipes.
Fuel filter may be blocked.

A few ideas for you to check out, unfortunately im not as clued up with the newer golfs!

neo,

Thanks for the reply I will try to eliminate some of your suggestions. I will also see if there is a vw Golf forum somewhere to see if anyone has had this type of problem and can pinpoint things more accurately. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
regards Michael

you haven't had the timing belt changed recently have you? usual cause of poor starting on these is incorrect pump timing.

Sponsored Links
mr.bodgit said:
neo,

Thanks for the reply I will try to eliminate some of your suggestions. I will also see if there is a vw Golf forum somewhere to see if anyone has had this type of problem and can pinpoint things more accurately. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
regards Michael

www.clubgti.com :D

Back