110 or 240 volt tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'll be starting out self employed soon and I'm going to be buying various power tools over the coming months. My first purchase is gonna be a plaster mixer at the end of this month.

Obviously, for domestic work 240 volt tools are fine. However, although I'm not planning to do it, there's always the possibility of doing site work in the future and I believe 110 volt is necessary for sites. Is this correct?

Would it therefore make sense for me to buy 110 volt tools from this point forward? Obviously there will be one additional expense because I'll need a 240 to 110 volt transformer but once purchased, that's it, all tools can run from it by using the transformer in 240 volt supplies.

Are there any other benefits of 110 volt tools (apart from the obvious lower voltage passing through me should I cut through the cable)?

Are there any disadvantages of 110 volt tools apart from the fact that it will be necessary to lug a transformer around with me?

As far as transformers go, what should I look for when buying one? Would a 3.3kva one be good enough?

Cheers

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how many tools you'll be buying. If you're just gonna have a mixer, then I think the advantage of not humping a transformer about would out-weigh the hassle of having to buy another for site work (which does need to be 110V). But if you're gonna need a lot of gear (you haven't said what you'll be doing yet) and you think there's the possibility of site working, then you might as well start off with 110V.
Regarding the 3.3KVA query, you haven't said what you'll be running off it but it'll be plenty for most general tools.

A 3.3kva transformer will power virtually all handheld powertools. And would power numerous smaller ones like drills or jigsaws at the same time. You can get 5kva ones that are slightly larger. Personally i wouldnt bother unless you plan on running site lights as well as tools. For the sake of £50 though you could always buy a second one at a later date if you need to.

I tend to favour 110v even when its not required beceause of the plugs/sockets, they arnt damaged easily like a 240 plug, and they dont pull out at the furthest point away, just as you reach the top of the ladder :LOL:

The only downside i can think of is that occasionally some stuff can be a little harder to find in 110v. Although not so much with the main tool brands.

The other thing to get will be a distribution box, or a 3 way splitter, to allow you to plug in more than 2 things at a time.

I think that you may find that as a business, when you work on domestic property, that will become a 'site' and therefore you should be using 110v.

240v is not specifically prevented, but is the least preferred (even with a RCD), so if things do go wrong in relation to the use of the tool, then you will be responsible for selecting 240 over 110 - unless you had a damn good reason.

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks,

My main business will be plastering but there will hopefully be some other general building work involved too.

I guess, from the sounds of the responses, that for the sake of an initial £50 investment for a transformer, that 110 volt tools (where available) is the way to go.

Will a transformer with 2 x 16 amp outlets be adequate or should I go for one with a 32 amp outlet too? I don't recall seeing a power tool for my needs with a 32 amp requirement but would it be better to plan ahead for such a requirement?

Thanks again.

Fred.

P.S. Is anyone else as impressed with my typing as I am given the several pints of Guiness I've drunk tonight? I have had to make several corrections before clicking submit though!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, and some bathroom fitting and possibly kitchen fitting too at some point once established so various drills will be required too.

I'm impressed that you actually like Guiiness :p

Horrible stuff

One downside to 110 gear, is that occasionally the sudden draw of power can trip the customers breakers if they have them. Not so much drills, but bigger tools like grinders and kangos etc

i know they are more expensive initialy!!!
have you considerd that cordless tools can perform any task with few exeptions that mains powerd tools can without the spaghetti to worry about

I'll be using a mixture of corded and cordless tools although it's the corded ones I'll be buying first.

Decent cordless tools cost an arm and a leg and from experience, the cheaper diy / consumer tools just don't cut the mustard so I'll have to get some money behind me first to invest in something of quality.

Big all, what cordless tools do you use?

The Ryobi One is tempting because of price but again, I think this is really aimed at the consumer / enthusiastic DIYer.

There are a few pretty damn expensive brands out there - Dewalt being the most obvious. There's also Makita, Sparky and some mega expensive american sounding brand whic I can't remember the name of. I want to say redneck but I know it's not that!

Woody - thanks for that. Useful to know so that I know it's not a fault with my tools when I trip the leccy on a few occasions.

heeelllooo fredflintstone

i would describe my self as a chippie /bench joiner whose staple is making mainly bespoked rustic pine furniture
but i extend to the usual floors doors kitchens [flat packed and custom made]

my main battery tools are

dewalt 18v hammer drill[ancient full kit] 18v jigsaw £177[old model complete 2 bats] recip saw £71 naked 18vangle drill £76 naked 2 additional 18v 2 ah batteries £71 the pair

24v bosch circular saw and hammerdrill £300

secondery ryobi that i rate as diy or light to medium trade i have a mixture of one plus and the take 5kit http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.as...ke-Five-2-18v-Cordless-5-Piece-Power-Tool-Kit http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.as...ke-Five-2-18v-Cordless-5-Piece-Power-Tool-Kit

in one plus i have hammer drill' jigsaw'circ saw' fluro light 'impact driver'recip saw

Cheers big-all.

So the Ryobi kit's OK for backup then?

I've remembered the name of that other brand - Milwaukee. It's even more expensive than Dewalt!

My main cordless kit will probably be a Hammer Drill, a Drywall driver, a circ saw and an angle grinder. I'll also have these in corded but with the addition of jigsaw, SDS and various other bits and bobs.

Thanks again.

Fred.

to be honest the ryobi will do 90% of what the dewalt will do and 80% of what the bosch will do but at half to 1/3 the price is exelent value

the ryobi gets used most of the time as its lighter and most of my work is in and around the workshop

forgot to mention the the take5 kit has a slide on battery and is NOT interchangable with ONE+ stuff

i wouldnt for example use the ryobi to cut worktops as it would take a bit longer and possibly need a second battery as they are only 1.5 1.7 or 2.0 ah but it would cut the worktop i prefer not to push the tools to there limits as it shortens there life

Fred, as you are going to buy an SDS drill anyway, why not just get an sds mixing paddle and it'll do the job of the plaster mixer.

I agree about the Ryobi for backup, or even for regular use as they are cheap enough to replace if they break and you can get them in any B&Q, although don't rely on the circ saw as as it eats batts, get the jigsaw instead. I'd also question the need for a cordless grinder, a cordless planer probably more useful.

Don't try and get cordless gear from different companies, it be become very annoying keeping track of charging all those batts, stick with 2 companies and same voltage per company if poss.

Get Milwaukee, Hilti or Festool and you won't need any backup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back