16 amp commando plug to 13 amp 3-pin extension?

J

jonathen

Hi all,

I have a question. At work, in the new comms room, the electricians have installed 16 amp commando sockets.

However, I need to have an 8-way 13 amp uk 3-pin extension lead to allow me to connect devices up.

I cannot seem to find a suitable extension with a 16 amp commando plug on it. So the question is: can I just buy one of these plugs, and an extension lead, cut off the standard 13 amp plug and replace it with the 16 amp commando plug? I'm aware the commando plug has no fuse, but I could buy an extension that has a fuse in the extension itself.

Or is this all dodgy? If so, where would I obtain something suitable?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
You should really use a rack mount PDU with the sockets..

http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?page=SubSections&sectionID=153&chapterID=24

ive just thrown a load out as well!!

Or you could get your electrician to get a metal clad socket such as http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331911&ts=99618&id=49437

and add a gland with a piece of cable going to the commando plug. (but that doesnt get you 8 sockets!

I assume the devices have mains adaptors on hence sockets?
APC might also do something suitable.

David

So long as the extension block is fused it shouldnt represent a problem but you say that you have an 8 way extension lead. I can see 8 devices connected as the same time blowing that 13 amp fuse pretty quickely.

BTW I assume each of the commando sockets are fitted with isolators?

Sponsored Links
FWIW, in most comms rooms / data centres the power is provided by radials normally fed in swa, in a mixture of 32A and 16A sockets..

Or at least the ones I work in..

Then throw in the odd TP+N Supply :)

Forget chair legs, Have you ever dropped a heavy duty metal coated raised floor tile on your finger, let alone a cable!

This can be messy, especially with a decent height raised floor, for these reasons our cable trays are mounted vertically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back