17th edition ????

L

llewop

Can someone please help. Iam an electrician but have been out the trade for 12 years and now considering getting back into it. I have the electrical 16th edition but have been told by an unreliable source that most electricians have now qualified for the new 17th edition. Could some one please confirm that their is a 17th edition out and that I would need to sit the 17th edition to keep upto date or am I ok with the 16th edition. I stay and work in Scotland and have been told Scottish rules differ from England.

Sponsored Links
The 17th edition is not out until 2008, the DPC is currently available for viewing over at the IET website clickme. When you say you have the 16th edition, is it post 2001?
The Scottish rules with respect to the building regs are different to those in England and Wales.

Yes, the 16th was updated in 2001, then amended in 2002 and 2004. Are you familiar with the up to date 16th edition? It may be worthwhile looking to do the C&G2381 course, however it should be noted the 16th edition hasn't much longer to live.

Sponsored Links
I was not aware it had been updated, I think I will not bother about the update unless I really need to. I will look into sitting the 17th edition next year, thanks for your help you have provided me with the exact information I was looking for.

llewop said:
I was not aware it had been updated...

If you're going to go back on the tools then you'd better make sure you're au-fait with ALL relevant regulations - Electricity at Work Regulations, ALL applicable Building Regulations (and it is most of them!) all relevant health and safety legislation, etc. If you ever end up in court you'll need to be bang up to date.

Get yourself the latest 16th Ed book and OSG (brown now)

I see you're in Scotland suggest you get in touch with SELECT and also find out about warrants

Thanks for all the replies I have spoken to Select and the SJIB. I do not need to go on any college courses. They have reccomended I attend a one day 16th edition refresher course with Select, which I have booked to attend in September and I have to sit the site safety course. Once I have passed both courses they will renew by card.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back