1993 vauxhall cavalier 2 litre gls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just putting this back on the road after nine months SORN
Purchased new battery , but within twelve hours battery flat , recharged battery' tested okay , again everything fine , overnight battery flat in morning . nothing on, what can be draining battery , any thoughts please
fenton

Sponsored Links
First job I would think is to check all earths, could have a trickle drain. Possibly a relay shorting out and after these two suggestions I've reaching the limit of my amateur knowledge!! :confused:
Best get an auto spark to give it a good checkover, will be worth the cost coz you could be wrecking the new battery.
Good luck

Hi Fenton!
My thoughts are you have a short circuit where a live wire is touching earth before the 'load' and this is draining the battery overnight.
I don't believe earth connections are in any way to blame.
Normally a short would blow a fuse but in your case there is insufficient flow.
If you have worked on any electrical aspect while you have had it off road then that could be a clue or has it been out in the rain say and damp is to blame.
You will have to carry out some tests to identify which circuit of the car is causing the problem.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Draining whilst in use, or just overnight? Check glovebox/boot light etc functionality first.

Sponsored Links
thanks to everyone who replied in the end it turned out that i required a new alternator which seems odd as this car was bought ten months ago and was off road for that period , strange that should go within ten miles of putting it back on road ,
once again thanks to you all
fenton

Back