1999 Punto, oil leak from the top of engine to the sump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
every time i move the car there is a small quatity of oil on the ground under the sump.
Has the head gasket blown?

Sponsored Links
Could be your rocker box gasket, easy diy fix. Just fit new gasket, that's if the oil is coming from the top of the engine, just below the plugs, then it could be your head gasket. Rusty sumps are common on those cars, I did one on a Punto & a head gasket in the past.

Unless its blindlingly obvious (if you pardon the pun) the only sure way of telling is to either get the engine steam cleaned or do it yourself with some Gunk and a hosepipe and then you have to inspect it to see exactly where the oils seeping out. Just dont go too near the electrics with your hosepipe.

Cheers ,freddymercurystwin,
The Punto is due for MOT in a couple of weeks time and a know that a dirty engine can be a failure. so i intend to gunk it anyway.

Cheers, BOROBOY2 i think your right, i had a look at an old hayes manual last night and i think it is the rocker box gasket. But is it and easy as you say.
My main worry is overtightening the rocker box lid.
i take it , it is as easy as:
removing the airfilter, draining the oil , putting on a new gasket, putting box back on and filling her up again. Does anyone know, is there a document anywhere?

Sponsored Links
thanks for that JohnD, will look at that tonight.

Does anyone know about the tightening issue?

If this is the 8 valve engine the cover is held (I think) by 4 bolts and the compressability of the gasket is limited by 4 spacer lands on the cover around the bolt holes. The bolt threads are in aluminium so use only a small amount of torque when tightening the bolts.
I have replaced one of these gaskets (due to being worried about oil leaking out) and the end result was more oil leaking out!
I have yet to revisit this job but:
The answer could be to apply a form of clear silicone mastic sealant to the degreased cover and cylinder head faces. Use a new clean gasket.
I have seen this method used on a Mondeo engine and it worked well even with a pre-used gasket, but I don't know the brand name.
Perhaps your local motor factors could recommend some?
There is no need to drain the engine oil as most of it lives in the sump when the engine is off.

Joe,
This is going back a few years for me. Just buy a new gasket (don't need anything else), don't over tighten alloy nuts. Nip up very lightly.

OOPS, forgot, make sure joints are clean before re-fitting.

Let me know how you get on. You'll be fine.

George.

Going to fit a new gasket on Saturday, a mate has given me a tube of gasket sealant which I will use round the edges too.
Then gunk the engine and do an oil change too.
She won’t know herself.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back