2 gang switch- com of one switch connected to L1 of other???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old 2 gang 2 way switch (used as 1 way however) and am slightly confused to the way in which it is wired. All the connecting wires are sheathed in red and there is a short connection between the 'com' for switch A and the 'L1' of switch B. Dont understand what the function of this wire is- the house is about 10 years old if thats relevant.
Also the 'A' switch controls 2 wall lights and the 'B' switch controls a ceiling light.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
dont worry about it, if you are changing the switch not my signature and change the switch.

it is a live feed by the way

Cheers for reply, but I'm still slightly confused- what is the function of the live feed? and should I just replicate this with my new switch?(this will mean a longer piece of wire howver because the relevant terminals aren't next to each other in the new switch as thay are in the one I'm replacing).

breezer said:
dont worry about it, if you are changing the switch not my signature and change the switch.

it is a live feed by the way

one day i WILL press the spell check button

bouffe7 said:
Cheers for reply, but I'm still slightly confused- what is the function of the live feed? and should I just replicate this with my new switch?(this will mean a longer piece of wire howver because the relevant terminals aren't next to each other in the new switch as thay are in the one I'm replacing).

the answer is in the question

live feed

it is the live that feeds (in your case) the lights

and yes you should and yes

to prove it, you could try this

disregard what i have said and put any wire in any terminall then wonder why it doesnt work.

The wires you have in your switch are wired that way so that it will work, do it wrong and oh dear, and now i will try again (getting the spelling right)

please note my signature (in other words use a marker pen to mark each cable before you take it out and make a drawing of it too, thn copy this to your new switch

damn :!: still got it wrong

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back