2 lights /one switch

AS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I have 2 lights operating from 1 x 1 gang switch on a junction box system - I can have JB with 2 core switch cable and light cable coming off and then I string a cable from first light to second light .If I want a 2 way switch and I run 3 core 2 way from 1st 1 gang switch to second 1 gang switch, do I also need 3 core switch cable coming out of the JB instead of 2 core.

Can I achieve 2 lights /1 switch by having JB with 1 switch cable coming out and 2 light cables coming out and strap the 2 x 1 gang switchs together with 3 core.

Sponsored Links
AS said:
If I want a 2 way switch and I run 3 core 2 way from 1st 1 gang switch to second 1 gang switch, do I also need 3 core switch cable coming out of the JB instead of 2 core.
No, if you have a 3-core between the switches you still only need a 2-core (plus earth) from the j-box.

Can I achieve 2 lights /1 switch by having JB with 1 switch cable coming out and 2 light cables coming out and strap the 2 x 1 gang switchs together with 3 core.
If you mean the two lights go on and off together on the 2-way witching circuit, then yes, that's all you need.

There are other ways to go about the wiring, but it is always possible to convert a simple 1-way (on/off) switch to 2-way by running a 3-core cable between the original switch location and the new switch.

for that matter it is always possible to add an extra switch to an existing two way install by running a 3&E from either of the existing two way switches to the new switch location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back