2 Way Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my living room I have one light, with 2 switches, one either side of the room. I bought a varilight master 2 way 1 gang and a slave 2 way 1 gang. When I wire them up they dont work. If I put the master switch in and then just use the old switch, the old switch has to be turned on for the dimmer switch to work. How can I install the slave dimmer so it works?

Sponsored Links
never heard of the brand, but it sound like you have them wired wrong, try reading the posts you will find on that tells you how to wire two 2 way switches

Simon - did you ever sort this out? I have a similar problem - Varilight master and slave - master on its own (with slave regular switch) works fine, as soon as I have the proper slave/master setup nothing works?

Wiring is not the same - old switches have L1/L2/Common, these have live, load and switch?

Anyone out the can you help me pleeeeeaaaassse!!!

Thanks in advance

Baz

what do the instructions say?

the reason i ask is that these switches have been mentioned before on these forums, with not much luck (i think)

The other thing is that you said it has 3 connections , live load and switch, i do not diss-believe what you post, its just that load is the same as switched (it is in this case)

Sponsored Links
Hi Baz.
Just read the instructions and they seem clear enough.
But! and there's always a but.
There is more than one method of wiring a two way circuit.
Remember this! on a 'one way' switch red live wire goes to COMM and black switched live to L1.
On a two way there is a method where live goes to COMM but it means the black switched live exits from the other two way switch which is most inconvenient

The convenient method is where you have a 'live' (red) and a 'switched live' (black) both going to one of your two way switches these being connected to L1 & L2, then both of your two way switches are linked together with 3 core cable, one of these core linking COMM to COMM
The varilight diagrams follow the same system.
-----------------------------------master --------------slave
Switched Live__________~______________~

---no wire to connect---------- S______________S

Live__________________Live____________LIVE.

hope you find it useful.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi and thanks for the post.

I have continuity tested the wiring and this is what I have:

At the master switch:
1 live (from elsewhere in the house)
1 Twin and Earth Red/Black that goes to the slave socket

At the slave switch:
1 Red (which is wired to the lights - not sure of its purpose?)
1 Twin and Earth Red/Black from the master socket.

Any ideas please?

Thanks once again for any help!

Baz

you would appear to be saying that at each switch you have one single red and a twin and earth, that would mean that the lights have been wired the "other way" for two way switching

Normally there is a three core and earth at each switch and one twin and earth at just one switch, but it can be done "the other way" where the connections are made in ajunction box in the ceiling.

Either way it should work with your new switch provided you get them the right way round, as there isno guarantee as to which wire does wht it will have to be a case of trial and error

It seems to me your circuit is wired the inconvevient way, but like BREEZER says it should function either way.
Being as you only have 2 core between switches it should be like this.
master slave
~ --------------------wire-----------------------------~
----red-------S no wire S ----red--
L ---------------------wire-----------------------------L
red live goes to S at master
red to the light comes from 'S' at the slave
The 2 core to be used to link ~ to ~
and live to live
You can if you wish prove that S is what we know as COMM by continuity of S/~ and S/L(with switch closed and open) but L/~ is always open
Hope all this makes sense.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi All,

All sorted now thankyou very much - I had to run in an additional wire to connect the two switches together - All working now and looks/works VERY SMART!!!!

Thanks very much for all your assistance chaps - its appreciated!

Cheers,

Baz

Hi,

Anyone got any ideas what happening if the light is on for about 20 mins then flashes 3 times and turns off!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Any help Is great
Chrz

Phil.

well if uoi ca turn it on and off ok, but it flahes after a time then turns off, it is not a wiring fault, time to get a new switch

Ye i know its not the wiring because it has been workin for 6months, does any1 konw where you can get a full teck spec for these dimmers, dod thay have thermal a cut out??

Phil.

if it is the same switch see the post by mr_baz, are they under g'tee? i would say if you have changed nothing it is a faulty switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back