2 Way Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 light switches for the 3 lights in my room. 1 is a normal switch and the other is a dimmer switch, which I am replacing. The original switch was wired: yellow to 1, black & blue to 2 and 2 red wires to 3. The earth is connected to the switch body. My new switch has L1, L2 and a wavey line and arrow which I take to be the common and an earth connector. I replaced the old dimmer switch with the new one and wired it up as the old one(assuming that the 2 reds should go to the common on the new dimmer switch and that 1 was L1 and 2 was L2. When I tested it didn\\\'t work properly. If you turned it on by the switch you could not turn it off with the dimmer, only the switch would turn it off. It was the same with the dimmer end as well. The old dimmer worked fine. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Earth to earth.

Yellow to wavey.

Blue and black to L2.

Red and Red to L1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back