2 way light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve added a wall light and wired it up to the existing 2 way switch. Now when the wall lamp is lit the original ceiling lamp goes out and vice-versa. I connected the wires from the lamp to L1 & L2 on the switch. The blue & yellow wires are connected the other way round on the other 2 way switch, could this be the problem. Any ideas?

Switch 1 - C=Red, L1=Blue, L2=Yellow.
Switch 2 - C=Red, L1=Yellow, L2=Blue.(Cable1)
L1=Blue, L2=Brown.(Cable2)
I connected the Red & Black from the new twin & earth cable to L1 & L2 as with cable 2.
The wiring from the existing ceiling lamp in brown & Blue.

Sponsored Links
Where is the neutral coming from :rolleyes:

Describe the way it is wired a little better, and we may be able to help.

How many cables at each switch? What colours go where? What cabling is at existing center light?

Did you run a Twin & E cable from the wall light directly to the switch??

Do either lights seem dimmer than they should??

Lectrician said:
Where is the neutral coming from :rolleyes:

Describe the way it is wired a little better, and we may be able to help.

How many cables at each switch? What colours go where? What cabling is at existing center light?

Did you run a Twin & E cable from the wall light directly to the switch??

Do either lights seem dimmer than they should??

Switch1 - C=red, L1=Blue, L2=Yellow
Switch2 - C=red, L1=yellow, L2=blue. (Link cable from switch1)
L1=Blue, L2 Brown (wiring from existing lamp ?)

I wired the new lamp directly to switch 2, L1 & L2.
L2 on switch 2 appears to be live all the time.

Sponsored Links
P.s when the wall light is on the ceiling light does not go completely off but glows very dim

you have wired the wall light accross the switches

when the switch is on the wall lights have no voltage accrsos them and the ceiling light is on

when the switch is off the lights are connected in series. the lower resistance of the ceiling light (presumablly there is quite a group of bulbs there) means that most of the voltage is dropped over the wall light

so the wall light glows at almost full brightness and the ceiling light glows very dimly

the two wires running to a switch are NOT a live and a neutral they are a permanent live and a switched live

you will need to trace the cable from the switch back to the light fitting or junction box and replace it with three and earth cable.

this gives you one core for the permanent live, one core for the switched live back to the ceiling light and one core to act as a neutral (which you join to the neutral from your wall lights with a peice of chock block).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back