2 way switching with 3 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, could you tell me how to wire up 2 way switching using 3 light swithes. i have 3core + earth cable going to each switch, with twin and earth cable going from the last switch to the light rose but am not sure what wire goes were in the switches?

Sponsored Links
look in stick for refence its there, its called 2 way and intermediate (clue: middle switch is not the same as other 2)

hi again, (2 way switching with 3 switches) i now know i need a 4way switch in the middle of the other 2 switches but can any one tell me what wires go were at the switches? i have twin and earth at 1 switch going to the light rose and 3core and earth down to all 3 switches help!!!!! thanks bazzer

Sponsored Links
couldnt find it before, just found it after sending second message thanks for ya help makes senses now thanks again!

Hi again, Thanks to breezer I have followed the diagrams for (2 way switching with 3 switches) and wired it up but when i tried the lights it put my trip out i think were it went wrong is my intermedate switch is different to the ones in the diagrams i have one with L1 L2 L3 L4 not just L1 top, L2 bottom and am not sure of the sequence (pairing) ie wether L1 brown live, L2 brown switch etc as the digaram for the switch was missing great.. i have 2 brown and 2 gray wires at the switches with the blacks com from the first to last switch joined can anyone advise me please

Getting the lives in the wrong (L1-L4) terminals in the intermediate switch should not cause it to trip, sounds like there is another fault. How have you wired it in the ceiling rose?

hi yes it is a new install there are 3 spot lights with the twin and earth going to them from a celling rose in the next room, i have had the spots to work but would not turn off, also had it when the lights were on and would not turn off by the second 2 switches and tripped out when turned off on the first switch with the switch wire in it? first and last switch are 2way with the middle a inter.

an electrican wired the spots up so im not to sure exactly how thay are done, but keep letting me down to do the rest of the wiring this is why its hard have tried other electricans in my area but thay dont seem to want to no as job already been started.
do you no if there is a diagram of how to do spotlights on this site so i could just check it through

hi i have just check out the wiring to the spots and have found out i have got live and nutraul going to each spotlight from the prev rose which then goes to the switch wire which is why the trip is going as we are putting a live back on the nutrel when the switch is made but the spots only have 2 wires to them? help........

The spot lights are connected to the permanent supply and the switch is connected across the supply after the last lamp in line? You need to run the switch cable (2c+e) back to before the first light and connect it in there, providing it is accessable you can use a junction box or terminal block in a chocbox.
the spots only have 2 wires to them
I take it they are class 2 (double insulated) which do not require an earth although you need to verify this, either the fittings will be labelled up (square in square) or the instruction sheet will tell you.

once again it all makes sense thanks very much for all your help spark123 u r a star!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back