2 way switching

bri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two-way lighting circuit between an upstairs landing light and a downstairs hallway light. I have recently had an extension which has resulted in a second landing light which is controlled by a one-way switch on the landing. I would like to link all three lights, both upstairs landing lights and the downstairs hallway light so i can control all three lights from any of their switchs, Is this possible?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
if you mean thhat you want to be able to turn them all on or all off from any of the 3 switch positions the answer is yes.

You would have tu run a 3 core and earth from the nearest 2 way switch to the "new" one way switch and a twin and earth from one light to the other.

seems to me that although easy to do, it will be a lot of work

But if you mean that you want to control all 3(?) lamps from three different locations then you will have to move one of your 2way switches to the "end " of your circuit and put an intermediate switch in the middle of your circuit.
Breezer knows where the sketches are , he'll show you, I could write for two days and it would still be no clearer !!!!

Scoby_Beasely, sligt problem with that, as you said the "middle" 2 way switch would have to be moved to the end, but you would the STILL need to run a 3 core and earth from the "middle" to the new End , which is what i said

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replies, i had previously made a start by laying the 4-core cable between the new one-way switch and the nearest two way switch thinking that like you say, i needed an intermediate switch between the two two-way switches, and youre right it was alot of work!.. but then started to doubt whether this would work as the only intermeddiate switch i can find is a one gang switch so couldnt see how that would control all lights independantly?...wouldnt i need three sets of two gang, two-way switches?...
:rolleyes:

yes you are right, but Scoby_Beasley and I both assumed that you wanted to turn all the lights on or all off from one switch at any of 3 positions.

As i now know exactly what you want here is the bad news. you will have to run another 3 core and earth betwen your two origonal switches if you want to be able to operate both sets of lights from any of the three switch positions,, this you then connect to the 3 core and earth you have just put in. You will also have to use "grid switches" see this as grid switches can be made into any configureation you require

i.e 2 intermeadiate switches in the middle

ok, i can do that, but will that then give me control of all lights from all positions, i.e. what i would like to have is to be able to turn both upstairs lights on from downstairs (at the moment i can only turn one upstairs light on from this switch), and then for both upstairs switches to operate independantly to be able to switch each other on/of (as in normal two way switching) and also be able to turn the downstairs light on or of from either of these switches.....sorry, does that make sense...just want to get it clear in my head before starting :)

simple answer. No

you can do it (well actually you can but it involves relays, but we wont go there)

the problem is that "at one instant" you want the lights to come on at the same time and "the next instant" you dont as soon as you connect a feed from one light to the other it willback feed and so they will both be on. The best you can hope for is:

both lights on. both lights off. from any of 3 switch positions

thanks breezer, i will try that, ..im going to lay the new cable between the two existing two way switches (original 2way on the landing and downstairs) and connect it to the cable i laid previously (to the new light switch) via an intermeddiate switch, and then exchange the old two way switch on the landing for another intermeddiate switch so i will have a two way switch at each end (new light switch end and existing downstairs two way switch) and two intermeddiate switches between them.
I havent used grid switches before and couldnt find much info on them, is it possible to use two ordinary intermeddiate switches in their place, or are grid switches necessary.

from the sound of it you want to use a 2 way 2 gang switch on each end and a 2 way 3 gang swich in the middle. these are expensive so it might be best to go with the mk logic range as it is the best around. to wire in the 3 gang swiches put in the wireing you would normaly put in for a gang switch but run it through the mounting box, then conect the 3 gangs switches onto these wires. the 3 gang switches basicly flick the power over. it fou deside you want more switches to run in this circit just put more 3 way swiches in it.
as you sound as if you are not completly confident with what you are doing i would call an electrition in to help, he will give you a quote of the job and might also tell you the best way to sort your problem, depending on the situation.

this is advise i am not taking responsiblity for any thing you do.
good luck,

sorry Will :( (again) that is not what he wants

he said "what i would like to have is to be able to turn both upstairs lights on from downstairs (at the moment i can only turn one upstairs light on from this switch), and then for both upstairs switches to operate independantly to be able to switch each other on/of (as in normal two way switching) and also be able to turn the downstairs light on or of from either of these switches"

What he wants is to be able to turn BOTH (up & down) lights off /on from either position, and to be able to switch either ONE LIGHT from adjacent to that light

besides you can not have 3, 2 way switches on the same circuit, the middle one is called intermeadiate

How far can you go with light switches breezer? I've seen 4 gang 2 ways and intermediates when working abroad but not in the uk or am I looking in the wrong places (I could do with a six gang 2 way ideally for a project I have in mind).

you mean one of these?

K4879WHI.JPG

This one is Made by MK and its part Number is K4879 WHI

you may have to go to an electrical wholesaler, but they may be able to supply you with a differnt brand that is cheaper, MK are vey well made but not cheap

Thats the buddy, only buy MK or Crabtree if I can, good quality gear and it's electric after all.
Thanks breezer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back