2 x Halogen Floodlights tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed 2 x Halogen 500W floodlights together with a PIR. These are installed on it's own circuit connected to a B6 MCB. There is nothing else on the circuit. All wiring is 1.5mm.

I am having intermittant trip on the MCB when the lights are activated. The trip is not happening all the time! If I reset the trip the lights will work fine, it seems to trip after a long period of inactivity (Not everytime).

Should I be looking for a fault or is this a problem with a marginal surge current.

If the latter I believe I have a number of options, downgrade to 300W (don't really want to do this), change to a C6 MCB or change to B10 MCB (seems to be an overkill for a 1kW circuit)

Any suggestions or comments.

Dave

Sponsored Links
its almost certainly a switch on surge hitting the fast trip point of the mcb (halogen lights have a very high switch on surge)

A C6 or a 5A cartridge fuse is probablly the best choice here.

Sponsored Links
Just received my C6 MCB today, installed it and the lights worked fine.

Thanks for your help

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back