22mm hot 15mm cold supply problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just installing a new bathroom but the pipework has a 22mm hot feed and 15 mm cold feed do i reduce down to 15mm hot when connecting to the bath and basin taps ,or just the basin ,and leave 22mm for the bath ..o and i have been out of the plumbing game for 20 years hence the no idea what i am doing questions.cheers if anyone can get me back in track most appreciated..also if i reduce to 15mm for the hot bath tap do i reduce near the bath or at furthest point........

Sponsored Links
Do you have mains pressure cold water, and gravity hot water?
Could make for an interesting time for the shower (whower?) mixer.

Shower mixers generally prefer balanced pressures, but some (eg venturi mixers) are designed to use mains cold to boost the hot pressure.

If feeds are both at mains pressure (eg combi boiler), there's probably little to gain using 22mm to the bath taps.

If hot water is gravity, and cold from mains, then consider running a 22mm cold feed from the storage tank to the shower mixer, or possibly fit a pressure reducing valve.

Isolating valves are useful if they are accessible. Not much point if you have to dismantle half the bathroom to get to them if you want to change a tap washer. I believe they are required now.

Check valves may be required on the shower mixer, especially on the hot feed if pressures are not balanced. Best to see what the manufacturers say.

cheers yes cold 15mm from mains,and 22mm hot direct from the combi ,all pipework is in place just been capped of as someone stloe the old plumbing (copper), i dont need to fit a shoewer though might just put taps on,cheers

Sponsored Links
dont complicate things spiral, am i to understand you have two tails coming out of the floor where the bath is to be, one 22mm one 15mm mains, combi boiler, no shower going in. 2 taps. even mixer. just run 22mm to hot, and 22x15 reducer to cold, put the reducer to the cold where its comfortable for you to fit, and get some short flexible connectors with isolating valves. the problem most plumbers will see is if your hot is from old combi and not very good and you put a very strong mains pressure through a mixer tap, will the cold push the hot back. but with the set up you have got with no shower, i dont envisage that problem, as you will simply put hot water in first from your combi, wait 30 mins for it to fill up by which time it will be cold enough for you to get in. its a bit daunting when you been out the game so long. just wrap your threads, wrap your olives, use your silicone or plumbers mait and make sure everything tight.

jumbo55 said:
just wrap your threads, wrap your olives, use your silicone or plumbers mait and make sure everything tight.
Don't wrap the threads on compression joints or tap tails.
Don't wrap the dry side of olives.
Don't use silicone on any joint on a supply.
Don't use plumber's mait on any joint on a supply.

the bloke used to be in the game, so give him some credit for knowing what goes where. he is just lacking a bit of confidence. i wrap olives with ptfe always. i wrap my gas joints with ptfe(copper to iron) never a leak. i didnt suggest using silicone or plumbers mait on threads, but the bloke is setting up a bathroom. one assumes he better have it handy for his taps and waste.

jumbo55 said:
the bloke used to be in the game, so give him some credit for knowing what goes where. he is just lacking a bit of confidence.
Fine - credit duly given.

i wrap olives with ptfe always.
Fine - I didn't suggest not wrapping, I wrote "Don't wrap the dry side".

i wrap my gas joints with ptfe(copper to iron) never a leak.
Well done.

i didnt suggest using silicone or plumbers mait on threads...
Er, nor did I. And I didn't say that you suggested it, but you have a narrow-minded view of who else might be reading your 'advice' and who might misinterpret it.

...but the bloke is setting up a bathroom. one assumes he better have it handy for his taps and waste.
You make lots of assumptions, for example that the OP is a bloke. And why in the name of all that's holy would you put Plumber's Mait near a tap? Unless of course it was your aim to make it difficult for someone else to remove the tap when it needs replacing. :rolleyes:

softhead says

Don't use plumber's mait on any joint on a supply

er!! I didnt suggest this.

softhead says

would you put Plumber's Mait near a tap? Unless of course it was your aim to make it difficult for someone else to remove the tap when it needs replacing.

ive always put a smattering of plumbers mait under a tap, if you knew anything, you would know its non setting so why then would it be hard to get the tap off.
maybe for you.

my answer was to the person who directed the question, nobody else.
you not only seek to belittle me with your comments, you then go on to tell me the OP could be a woman. the answer would be the same wether man or woman, if i were a betting man, i would have assumed a bloke.

however i would put a bet on you being a woman definitely, nitpicking and going off the point. if you are a man, tell me, was it your wife that nicknamed you softus. does she call you that all the time or only in the bedroom. dont mind a bit of friendly banter softus, but i am new to this site and it really gets my goat when engineers in the same profession, instead of discussing why they do certain things and how its better, just up and proclaim themselves know alls and everybody who differs is no good. my trade nowadays is 98 per cent gas but i am a time served plumber, and no advice i have given could be regarded as dangerous or bad practice.

too much slagging off on this site. should be a forum for the exchange and learning of knowledge for customers and engineers. not the plumbers answer to the houses of parliament.

jumbo55 said:
Don't use plumber's mait on any joint on a supply
er!! I didnt suggest this.
We've dealt with this already. :rolleyes:

jumbo55 said:
would you put Plumber's Mait near a tap?
No - I asked why, not "would you".

jumbo55 said:
my answer was to the person who directed the question, nobody else.
That's why I observed that you're narrow-minded - because you don't consider other readers, of which there are potentially many.

I don't seek to belittle you - my initial post wasn't even directed to you, but you chose to take it personally.

The OP could be a woman - why not? Why assume, or bet?

I don't know it all, or claim to, or pretend to. I merely listed four 'don't' points for the benefit of both the OP and anyone else reading the topic. If you disagree with any of the things I listed, then why you don't you explain why you think I'm wrong, instead of nitpicking (sic.).

my trade nowadays is 98 per cent gas...
Then maybe you'd best leave the watery jobs to general plumbers. :idea:

jumbo55 said:
however i would put a bet on you being a woman definitely, nitpicking and going off the point. if you are a man, tell me, was it your wife that nicknamed you softus. does she call you that all the time or only in the bedroom.
jumbo55 said:
too much slagging off on this site.
:idea:

jumbo55 said:
softhead says
jumbo55 said:
you not only seek to belittle me with your comments
:idea:

ANYONE considering how best to do compression joints should read what the MANUFACTURERS specify.

In the case of compression joints under 35mm, I believe the advice is 'use NOTHING except small amount of mineral oil for lubrication'. Jointing compunds are only recommended for larger sizes.

yes well i started ptfe on the olive when the italian fittings used by my local council whom i worked for, kept leaking after a couple of months, its a habit i got into, its a habit i intend to keep up, its not bad practice, and i reckon it saved me time on callbacks which meant for a happy customer.
if its good enough for 35mm and above, its good enough for the smaller joints. so carry on croydon, i wont knock you, we all work different, as long as its safe, whose to say anybody is right and wrong, it might appear to be belt and braces to you, i dont care, i do it how i have always done it.
and if your experience is different, then you carry on.

croydoncorgi said:
ANYONE considering how best to do compression joints should read what the MANUFACTURERS specify.
This is fine and dandy for making new fittings onto new tube, but it's an imperfect world that's full of imperial pipe, paint streaks and solder snots. Many people use either jointing compound or PTFE tape to overcome these imperfections.

I agree with jumbo55 that if you have a way of achieving leak-free (and easily maintainable) joints, every time, then you should stick with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back