22mm or 15mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP,

i was hoping to complete all the pipework through into my new extension today.

Pipes to feed new Baxi 105he instant. that will be located into new utility room.

done 22mm central heating feed and return, 15mm mains cold water, 22mm gas ( dont worry i havent connected it, corgi man doing that) but what do i do hot water in ? i had old gravity feed system previously that was 22 ?

Do i still do in 22 or is 15mm ok now its mains pressure..

Cheers guys in advance

Sponsored Links
For most instalation situations 15mm will not restrict the flow available from your boiler only other issue is dead water, so preferable to use 15mm.

I hope the gas pipe has minumum joints soldered only is wrapped or precoated and is further protected from movement by 5mm minimum material like lagging. Flux used was suitable for gas. Tightness test performed before covering.

Hi Paul.

I did exactly what the Plumber told me to do.. I bent gas pipe instead of using solder elbows, it is away from the water pipes , as in isnt touching them and i used plastic push fittings... Only joking :eek: All the gas pipes WILL be checked by the corgi guy, before he pressure checks and does whatever else he has to... It is under Building control so to be honest, it has to be done correctly..I have only used 1 and a half 3 meter legnths for the gas pipe and it has 2 soldered joints. The rest will be done by the plumber himself... I just wanted to get all the pipes through the cavity and into the extension.

Just trying to save a few quid by doing all the donkey work myself. I'm sure you know how it is..

Thanks for the info on the 15mm... I was very tempted to go for 22MM but in the end i did it in 15mm..

Cheers

Mick.

did u sleeve the gas pipes thru the wall ? with 28mm ?

Sponsored Links
Yes i put the 22mm inside a piece of PVC waste pipe ? is that ok ? if not its still an easy task to replace it with 28mm copper as the hole in the wall is a full brick and the pipe is dead straight so i can easily slip it off and slip on another :D

Had to remove a full brick as the pipes come from the bathroom and into the loft space of the new extension ( only a single storey)

Cheers..

Mick Leek said:
Yes i put the 22mm inside a piece of PVC waste pipe ? is that ok ? if not its still an easy task to replace it with 28mm copper as the hole in the wall is a full brick and the pipe is dead straight so i can easily slip it off and slip on another :D

Had to remove a full brick as the pipes come from the bathroom and into the loft space of the new extension ( only a single storey)

Cheers..

Nope it isnt unless the PVC pipe is impervious to gas, if its just a bit of OSMA or Hunter etc that is not good enough, pop the 22mm into some 28mm copper

corgiman said:
Nope it isnt unless the PVC pipe is impervious to gas, if its just a bit of OSMA or Hunter etc that is not good enough,
Sorry, but I don't think that's right. It's quite normal to use plastic waste pipe as sleeving for gas pipes running through walls. The Corgi book says -
The sleeve should be made of a material capable of containing and distributing gas, e.g. copper, steel, polyethylene (MDPE), polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or other suitable plastic material

:eek:

well paint me pink and call me shirley

Teach me not to read my book, thanks chris :)

i prefer copper incase of any "crush" effects/forces

Come off it! Who ever heard of a copper pipe being crushed because it was only sleeved with plastic? At least corgiman admitted his mistake!

i wouldn't say doing it in 28mm is a mistake ....would you ?

but u are right...not seen any..just a precaution..

I use the purpose made grey sleeving for 22mm pipe which is some sort of plastic fits snug and if you writhe the drill bit for 22mm pipe around a bit no need to get the core drill out.

I had a conuncdrum other day pipe from garage to cupboard under stairs containing gas meter. Couldn't decide for myself which side to seal so rang corgi tec. The man I got on the phone that time said go for the cupboard under the stairs side. I gues if I'd asked a different inspoector he would have plumped for the other way round. Equal danger if you ask me.

chrishutt said:
Come off it! Who ever heard of a copper pipe being crushed because it was only sleeved with plastic? At least corgiman admitted his mistake!

thats only cos I am got so use to it chris LMAO :LOL:

I will be looking into this tomorrow as when i retook my CCN1 last month the tutor stated quite clearly that only plastic that has been given BS Number wotsit (will get back to you or that it IS sunday and I AM bladdered :) ) to convey gas can be used as a sleeving.

must say that I have never heard of any precautions needed against crushing though. Will check this to

Its all good fun aint it lads :):):):):):):):)

Live and learn

Cheers guy's...

I will await the final answer before i continue beyond being able to replace the offending non gas approved BS blah blah piece of plastic pipe used to prevent something or other :confused:

cheers

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back