22mm to 32mm coupling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to connect a 22mm pipe to a 32mm pipe and i can;t find a suitable reducer anywhere.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
spark29uk said:
Looking to connect a 22mm pipe to a 32mm pipe and i can;t find a suitable reducer anywhere.

Any ideas?

Are we talking plastic or copper :confused:

Those sizes are presumably copper, and plastic mdpe. If that's what you mean there are several ways to do it, with 2 parts.
BES.LTD.UK sell most things. You could go via say a 1 inch thread, or use parts 9939 and 9859.

Sponsored Links
I need to fit an air admittance valve at the top of the pipework of a Grundfos macerator, because it's syphoning and buggering up the system. But the current pipework is 22mm, and I can only find 32mm valves. The outlet on the macerator is 22mm, so I need to enlarge the pipe to fit the valve in the loft.

Hopefully the sites you pionted me to should sort it.

Not as he described, because you're talking about nominal 32mm waste pipe (actual OD about 36mm?), not 32mm OD poly. You could convert from 32mm to 21.5mm overflow size which is the same as ¾" imperial copper, which you can adapt to a 22mm compression fitting with an adapting olive. A bit of a bodge, but I can't think of a simpler way of doing it.

spark29uk said:
I need to fit an air admittance valve at the top of the pipework of a Grundfos macerator, because it's syphoning and b*****r up the system. But the current pipework is 22mm, and I can only find 32mm valves. The outlet on the macerator is 22mm, so I need to enlarge the pipe to fit the valve in the loft.

Hopefully the sites you pionted me to should sort it.

This get worse the more you tell us :eek:

perhaps you would be better explaining exactly what you intended to do, and the existing materials.

If I understand your post it wont work.

ok... I have a Grundfos macerator, a replacement for an old unit which conked out recently, but never worked properly because, I think of a siphoning issue. (the pump runs right about 50% of the time, but afterwards, all the water rushes out, leaving it empty so it can't run right the next time.The pipework is 22mm copper, going up thru the ceiling into the loft, along about 5 or 6 metres, then down the outside wall into the main waste. I want to stop the siphoning. simple as that.

spark29uk said:
ok... I have a Grundfos macerator, a replacement for an old unit which conked out recently, but never worked properly because, I think of a siphoning issue. (the pump runs right about 50% of the time, but afterwards, all the water rushes out, leaving it empty so it can't run right the next time.The pipework is 22mm copper, going up thru the ceiling into the loft, along about 5 or 6 metres, then down the outside wall into the main waste. I want to stop the siphoning. simple as that.

What is siphoning and how :confused:
How can the water rush out and where from :confused:

What model do you have.

The model is a Sololift WC. After it's pumped the water away as it should, leaving some in the macerator, there's a couple of seconds pause and all the water rushes out of the thing by itself, leaving it empty and airlocked. Siphoning. So the next time it tries to pump, it runs for ages but can't shift the water. It happened with the old one too, and it eventually died from running too long all the time, but there was an airhole on the outlet on that which you could enlarge to stop siphoning, which helped remedy it. The new one hasn't got an airhole like that, so I'm thinking I either need to enlarge the pipe bore at the top of the run to stop this, ot fit an anti siphon valve. Either way, I need to go from 22mm copper pipe to something larger at some point along the run. hence the original question.

As explained above already, you need 22mm compression tee on the run, ¾" olive (BES 9055) in the branch, spigot of 21.5mm overflow pipe, 21.5mm x 32mm adaptor (BES 11939), then your 32mm AAV.

You cannot fit an aav, it a pressure pipe.

Your best bet is to change the pipe to plastic which it is supposed to be anyway, and increase the size to a minimum 32mm for the long horizontal run.

Agreed that AAV may not resist positive pressures adequately, but if placed on a vertical extension it will be safer. Worth a try, since he's already got one. An alternative might then be to fit an Anti Vacuum Valve (AVV) which might have a ¾" thread and then screw into a 22mm adaptor. It may not be practical to replace horizontal run with 32mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna try just increasing the pipe bore first. No idea who originally fitted the thing, but 22mm copper pipe wasn't really a good plan was it?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back