230v or 240v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do people use for their calculations???

I've seen so much contradiction in books. Some say you must use 230v because thats the European harminisation. And some say you must use 240v because thats what it actually is......?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Depends on what calculation you are doing... :p

Showers and cookers tend to give their kW rating for both 230 and 240V. Calculating current draw using the Kw rating for 240V but using 230v in your calcs will give you a higher than actual rating for current draw.

Fault currents are normally calculated using 240v (Uoc). Volt drop etc using 230v.

Fault currents are normally calculated using 240v (Uoc). Volt drop etc using 230v

That foxed me on a 2381 past paper, that one did, involved 0.2 disconnection times and using section 6 yeilded an answer not in the answer last, using the appendixes however did, thought it a bit odd until it was explained another day about the ELFI tables being based on 240v

Sponsored Links
The legally declaired voltage in the UK is 230V, plus 10% or minus 6%. So you'd normally use 230V but for some purposes the maximum of 253V.

It's in clause 27 (2) of the ESQC Regulations, SI 2002 No. 2665.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/uksi_20022665_en.pdf

Next year, the permitted minimum falls to minus 10%, i.e. 207V. That's at your meter, so allowing a 4% drop on your installation, you could finish up with less than 200V.

The future is dim...

We are told it's 230v, although we know it's actually 240v. We are supposed to accept it at 230v, but will we?
Will it go the same way as decimilisation. If we want a piece of timber we ask for 2" x 2"x what ever length in mm. Our roads are still measured in miles, 36 years since decimilisation came into force.
We obviously just don't or won't accept change!

Not where I come from ...........the move to decimalisation has been fully embraced here, for example, I often hear the phrases:-

(a) I bet you kilogram for kilogram that I can drink more than you....................... (pound for pound)

(b) That's a bit pence pinching (penny)

(c) There's kilometre upon kilometre of newly built housing (mile upon mile)

(d) Show us your three pence's (thruppeny bits)

(e) As bent as 45p (nine bob note)

Etc etc.

luminaire said:
We are told it's 230v, although we know it's actually 240v.

Of course you only measure 240V. That's because peak residential load occurs at 5.30 p.m. when electricians are in the pub. They only measure during the day when the supply's lightly loaded and the volts are high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back