25mm MDPE and frost...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be installing an outside tap in the near future, the route will be from the front of the house (incomming supply) to the back of the house under the floor (approx 10m) using 25mm MDPE. The pipe will go through the wall below DPC level then a 90* bend and continue in vertical plane in MDPE or other.

My question is how resilient to frost is MDPE or am I better doing the vertical run in 3/4" galv pipe?

Will lag the pipe under the floor if neccessary.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to go down min 750 mm depth to protect against frost. A lot of digging. :(

Is there no other supply nearer to your proposed tap position?

I'm planning to Tee into the incoming 25mm MDPE (where it is exposed) under the floor of the house and run the new pipe along a floor joist and exit through the opposite wall.

Does it still need to be buried in this situation?

You can just insulate it - I bet the existing one isn't though!

Sponsored Links
Teeing into the incoming main means you will have to turn the supply off at the boundary whenever needed.

Is there no other supply nearer?

The next nearest supply is the bathroom but it's not mains, so of no use.

The only other option is to Tee in above the service valve under the kitchen sink and drop the pipe back under the floor (where the MDPE is) but I would still have to run the pipe to the back of the house.

Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back