3 GANG 2 WAY part 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your help on the first part of my post. Perhaps I have made a real muddle. Really appreciate your help everyone. Wires are as below ....

Wire 1 : Live / In. has earth, black & red wires.

Wire 2 : Porch. has earth, black & red wires.

Wire 3: Hall way. has earth, black & red wires.

Wire 4: Landing. has earth, black and red wires. BUT this is a 2 way swich which is throwing me! The upstairs switch for this light has a live in comm and a black and red on L1 and L2.

All these need to connect into a switch box with 3 switches. Each gang has 1 'comm', L1, and a L2.

Not sure if you're able to help me with that info? Don't worry if not, appreciate you time anyway.

Robin

Sponsored Links
The cable for the hall light - is the black connected to the neutral block, or the switch itelf??

Need to know this to advise further without guessing.

The switch itself - I can't tell how it 'was' exactly. I've tested it and it works fine if this, and the live / 'In' cable were connected normally in the switch box. Does that make sense? thanks very much for your help
Robin

My best guess would be this:

'live supply' in to one of the coms, and the porch to corresponding L1, the two neutrals in a block.

Hallway cable - red to the next com, and the black to the corresonding L1.

Landing cable, red and black to L1 and L2, not mattering hugely which way around.

A small link from com of hallway switch to com of landing switch.

Before you try this - tell me how the wiring looks like inside the hallway light fitting..........This will confirm if what I have said is correct......

Sponsored Links
brilliant, thanks very much - I'll have go. I'm not at the house currently so can't see what's in the light fitting - I'm assuming it's all standard but will check and get back to you. Thanks again, you're a star!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back