United Kingdom
i have a 3 gang switch.
1st gang is 1 way
2nd gang is 2 way
3rd gang is 1 way

When I opened it up I expected to find
1 of 3 core switch cable and 2 of 2 core switch cable

each gang has 4 terminals two labelled 1 and two labelled 2

However what i found is 1 of 2 core cable and 1 of 3 core cable wired as follows:

N from 2 core going to 1 on 1st gang
L from 2 core going to 1 on 3rd gang

yellow from 3 core going to 1 on 2nd gang
blue from 3 core going to 2 on 2nd gang
L from 3 core going to the other 1 terminal on 1st gang and from this
2 added loops of Live into the free 1 terminals on gangs 2nd and 3rd.

What is this, is it safe/common and more importantly how do I wire on a new replacement 3 gang switch using this method?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you have a triple intermediate (4-way) switch bank Such switches would normally be used where you want to control a light from three or more different locations, but they can also be wired for regular 1/2-way operation.

Assuming that all the lights work properly and independently of each other, the red on the 3-core must be bringing power into the switch bank. The yellow and blue on switch #2 are then the travelers which run to the other switch of the 2-way arrangement. The 2-core cable appears to have been used as the switch returns for the other two lights: Red for #3, black for #1.

To replace with a triple-gang 2-way unit you would need to connect as follows:

3-core red to the common of all three switches.
3-core yellow and blue to L1 and L2 of switch #2.
2-core black to L1 of switch #1.
2-core red to L1 of switch #3.

If it makes the wiring physically easier, you can interchange the COM and L1 connections on switches #1 and #3 as they're only being used as 1-way.

Just satisfy my curiosity as to the brand of the old 3 gang intermediate switch: as far as I'm aware, only Scolmore (Click) give you the ability to fit three int. switch modules into a one gang plate.

Sponsored Links
mmm 12 connections in a 1 gang box not counting the chock block you usually have with intermediates or the earths.

do you enjoy self tourture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back