3 layer flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed please

What is the difference between a 3 layer torch on and a 3layer bitumen
(hot pot ) roof (apart from the obvious )

is one better than the other ?

does one have a longer life than the other ?

is torch on diyish ?

I had a bitumen hot pot roof put on a property a few years ago and was
very happy with it , but am now getting quotes for a different property
but all roofers want to do is torch on, is this because there is less skill involved or because new technology has made torch on as good as hot pot.

many thanks in advance

l200

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert, but did a number of torch-on roofs for my extensions some (20)years ago.
These have lasted over 20 years, so must be good.
I used three layers of QUALITY felt, with the base a perforated layer, no nails , nowhere. Use plenty of lamp to get the melt flowing to stick the base layer to the substrate. Make sure you have decent falls, and good base. And have ventilation to the roof.
I had granite chippings on the top too.
Good fun.
All pretty rare nowadays?

Depends...
Bitumen hot pot is an old fashion proven method but some roofers still prefer to use that, then again time moves on- torch on is not 'diy'ish' looks neater when finished and if layed correctly with quality felts will last 15+ years easy. Make sure the felts (if 3 layer torch) are not cheap products from diy stores, but from a reputable roofing supplier ideally of the Debotec range.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back