3 round pin sockets ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house which has the standard sockets dotted around the lounge.
However, it also has a number of 3 round pin sockets (just like a standard plug but round pins rather than blades). Any suggestion what they are for ?
Why a round pin socket next to a standard double socket ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
They will be for lighting and may well be switched from the room light switches. You can buy small, 5A round pin plugs and fit them to table lamps, standard lamps, etc.

Seen this in a couple of nice hotels - lamps go off with the ceiling lights when you exit the room - though one place had them wired into the wall to stop people stealing the lamps (there was a nice desk lamp that i could imagine someone stuffing into their bag ;) )

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for your responses.

That explains why we have light switches that dont seem to do anything !! :)

Thanks for you help everyone.

Onenil said:
That explains why we have light switches that dont seem to do anything !! :)
Get some floor or table lamps, put round pin plugs on them, plug them in, and the switches will then do something..

Coming back into popularity this now......

Done loads recently.

Its not just you thats finding people are getting interested in them then?

I just thought people wanted to go for that 'retro socket outlet charm' ;)

Anyone like bakelite?

Really old post!

I read through it with interest, and read a reply.....by ME!

Being able to switch table lights from the door is becoming pretty much a norm for decent specced houses/hotels. I am still fitting loads at the moment. It is the norm in america for even small bedsits!

We are doing a small hotel, whos owners are trying to prove they understand their carbon footprint. We are fitting the key-tags at the door which only enable the power to the lights if the key tag is inserted into the slot. IT also helps prevent lost keys, and the tags can include the room number and address of the hotel, should they become lost. We have only switched the lighting circuit, but it is common in other parts of Europe to switch the entire CU in a room, either by a CU, or because the loading is low (the switches we are using are 15amp rated). Switching the entire room would be a little awkward, as you need to account for clocks, fridge (if there is one) and the fact that customers want access to power to charge cameras, phones etc.......and they always want to leave towel rads on!

I prefer the 2 amp round ones (top left), although some think they are not compliant......

osuyb9.png

I cant see any compliance issues with the ones on the top left due to the fact you could only plug a light into them! (in theory anyway). I do prefer switched ones though, as not all lights incorporate switches as once did. The ability to switch at the outlet gives thje customer more flexability to configure their own lighting schemes.

And then theres always the ones who HAVE to leave plug-less outlets switched off to stop the electricity 'flowing' out of the empty socket's holes!

I have done this very thing in my own lounge 9 years ago.

Why not compliant?

It is only the two amp ones.....I recall becasue they are two amp, and *possibly* dont have shutters on some makes.

I use the MK ones almost weekly!

I personally prefer 5A sockets, but I suppose it's each to their own!!

I've got 40+ Legrand 15A switched sockets in my shed if anyone is interested :LOL:

afaict 2A are fine but you have to make sure you get shuttered 2A ones. In older ranges often the 5A and up were shuttered but the 2A weren't. I don't know if any current ranges still contain unshuttered 2A sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back