Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We still have BS3036 fuses in our house.

Not wanting to takle a replacement distribution board, i have seen "trips" that can be plugged into the 3036 box.

Can someone tell me what these are called.

Is it an ELCB type instrument?

Are they any good or worth having?

Or should i just replace the 3036s

Sponsored Links
Are the 3036 a problem? The plug in MCBs you refer to are different to ELCBs, or RCDs as the current operated versions are now better known. It is advisable to have RCD protection on socket circuits.

Is it a Wylex fusebox/consumer unit? There are a few obsolete MEM and other brands about but I don't think you can get MCBs to fit.

Is it cream or brown?

I expect you are thinking of these things
p1991335_l.jpg

Very easy to fit, quick to reset, not liable to be refixed with knitting needles when the correct fusewire is not to hand.

Sponsored Links
Then it is pretty ancient (35 to 45 years old), you should start thinking about having an upgrade and possibly at least some rewiring. You can get a periodic inspection report done by a suitably qualified electrician (I would always go for one who's a member of a self-certification scheme) but he might save you the time and cost if he gets a strong impression of age and decrepitude the moment he walks through the door.

shark sandwhich said:
Imagine MCBs much more reliable than fusewire

I doubt it, unless you put something other than the correct fusewire in the holder. The only real advantage is an MCB can be reset easily.

shark sandwhich said:
yes "wylex"

Brown.

What do i ask for to buy some?

You ask for "MCBs to fit a Wylex Standard - with shields" at your electrical supplier, and expect to pay about £7 each.

Or on Fleabay (remember there were 20 million of these installed in the UK over the last 40 years, and most of them have reached the end of their working life) they should cost about £2 each, used and might be described as "Wylex Breakers" or "MCBs to replace fuses". You must buy them with the matching coloured plastic shields, as the old ones will not fit. Check the picture as there are modern Wylex MCBs without the plug-in prongs, that will not fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back