32MM CORE DRILL..BUT PIPE IS SLIGHTLY BIGGER?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am installing abs solvent weld 32mm pipe through two courses of brickwork..i have managed to borrow a 32mm diamond core drill to do the job...i have now realised that the 32mm pipe is actually a bit bigger than 32mm...therefore making the pipe not able to go through drilled hole, if i kind of jiggle the drill bit around a bit ( as i drill thru or after original hole is cut) will it eventually make the hole bigger?)..i know i should get a bigger drill bit but i will only need to use it once..so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've done it, with my own tools, and worn the diamond off the side of the segments. That makes the bit absolutely scrap. If you do it with a hired bit they charge you for a new one.
Use the next size up - you need a little bit of wiggle room to get the pipe in exactly the right position and at the right slope anyway.

The 32mm is the internal diameter of the pipe (we had a rather long discussion on another thread recently) so you will need double the pipe wall thickness in "jiggling"... I think you need to buy or hire another drill unless the wall is very soft and crumbly.

edited: bah, too slow :(

chrisr..thanks for the reply...but i assume then that its possible to do ?...but i have to do the job tomorrow( very first thing)....my mate who i borrowed it off is away for weekend..so if it is at least possible to do..i will do it...knacker his bit up but get him a new one :D

Sponsored Links
well guys...thanks for the advice..but now phoned my mate and he has a bigger core drill.he is popping it in before he goes away.so will be using that..again many many thanks for the info

no..i have NOT drilled the hole yet..why?...do you have another suggestion i could possibly use ? ......also been having probs getting hold ( and correct stuff) of solvent weld...plumbers merchants sold me something totally wrong...now they have told me what they have now sold me is the correct item ..it is POLYPIPE SOLVENT CEMENT..it is to "weld" connections to abs pipes...is this the correct stuff?

oops i see ur using that already.

if it is for a condense pipe. !!! use the 22mm pipe to go through the wall and reduce into the elbow before it goes to the outside with a 1 1/4 to 22mm solvent reducer so from the outside it is all in 1 1/4

hope this helps .

If you cant borrow, maybe hire one out. Or if you want it to be a messy cut (eg its not in view) Mark around the pipe with a pen on the wall and drill holes all the way round. Can do this from both sides (as it a double wal) if you put a level pilot hole through. Then use a hammer/chisel if necessary

I already read this bit :LOL:

worcesterman47 said:
well guys...thanks for the advice..but now phoned my mate and he has a bigger core drill.he is popping it in before he goes away.so will be using that..again many many thanks for the info

"Yeah borrow a bigger hole cutter "..already have but thought as its pretty old.& the 32mm is brand new..there may be another option ie drill hole with new 32mm then re-drill with bigger one for instance, anyway i am still open for ideas ( sensible ones at least )

"solvent pipe is slightly smaller ?????" ... as i said earlier the abs 32mm pipe is slightly BIGGER..not smaller

and have i been sold the correct solvent this time ( see few posts up )..thanks again :D

worcesterman47 said:
There may be another option ie drill hole with new 32mm then re-drill with bigger one for instance, anyway i am still open for ideas ( sensible ones at least )

Would be completely pointless as you would lose your pilot hole that the core drill follows

ok, many thanks gents for the replies...if i have no other options i will go with the older bigger core drill......but now i really need to know ( finally ) if i have now been sold correct item....POLYPIPE SOLVENT CEMENT..it is to "weld" connections to abs pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back