3kw heater on 13A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All!

Now this IS a handy site!

I'd like some advice about a fused socket switch getting warm when running a Delonghi heater HCA530FTS:

http://www.delonghi.co.uk/product_page.php?id=109&key=Convector Heaters

First of all, is this dangerous, likely to become dangerous? I see it as an early warning sign, but am not sure what is the best course of action.

The heater is supplied with a 13A fused plug, which I removed. The fused socket is also 13A. I realise that 3kw/230v = 13A, so this is why the switch is probably getting warm. Is it simpler and cheaper for me to get a lower rated heater (say 2.5kw/230 = 10.8A)? Or is there a way for me to increase the ampage rating on the circuit (bearing in mind this is runnig on the ring final circuit). I don't have a spare fuse on the consumer unit, and don't particularly fancy running a circuit specifically for the heater.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks - Deano

Sponsored Links
Given the heater was supplied with a plug, there should not be an issue with a 13A FCU per se, so downrating the heater isn't necessary.

I would suggest you check the wiring inside the FCU to make sure all the connections are good.

Ok Cheers. I was going to replace the FCU as well, as they were installed 10yrs ago when the place was built, and are probably cheap and cheerful. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it tonight.

And, give the conections in side and the fuse a polish if they look tarnished - it doesn't take much to start a fully loaded 13A fuse cooking, they dissipate about a watt at full load, and thst has to go somewhere.
For many years rubber plugs circulated that used to routinely overheat once the rubber vulcanising corroded the brass terminals.

Sponsored Links
Ta. I'll put a new fuse in. Many thanks.

Changed the fused socket last night for a nice MK jobby. The original one was a cheap and cheerful fitting that was installed when the place was built back in 1995. It was nice and brown on the black, so had obviously been generating a fair bit of heat as it also managed to crack the front plate too! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back