5 x 40watt exterior lights and 3 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to wire up the above on an exterior staircase.
The 3 exterior switches must be water proof, 1 is for the top, one for the bottom and one for an exit in the middle.
I need to be able to switch the lights on/off from all 3 locations, if possible I would prefer a time delay switch / press button in all 3 locations.
My supply has an ECB.
Can anyone please tell me what type of switches I need / you would recommend?
Can you tell me if I need 3 or 4 core cable?
Can anyone give me a wiring diagram, or suggest a location for one on the web?
Thank you
Max

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer
Thank you for the rapid response.
Sorry to be thick but which of the meny solutions shown will enable all the lights to be switched on/off by a Vacuum Time Lag Switch, they only offer 1 and 2 way solutions for this product.
Regards
Max

There are two ways you can do it, you can wire it as breezer suggests as a standard two way and intermediate switching arrangement like this
2and3way.jpg

Or you could use three momentary switches wired in parallel and connected to a time delay switch

I don't think there is a standard weatherproof time delay switch that you could use.

Sponsored Links
the sentry unit could be put in a weatherproof enclosure though if need be

Hi
Thank you for the solution but I cannot source an Intermediate exterior switch that has a time delay function, can you please tell me a supplier?
I need 3 switches in total to control 6 x 40 watt lights. As it is an exterior staircase I need a time delay solution switch, does such an item exist, if not please suggest a solution / supplier?
Regards
Max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back