6 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I am wireing my new house, it has three sets of stairs , with three landings. I would like a switch at the bottom and top of each set of stairs (6 switch). I need them all to controll one light. I hope someone can help me with a diagram, as I am stumped.

Thanks Joe dirt

Sponsored Links
Standard two way switching with as many intermediates as required (4) - Look in the for reference section.

6wayltghar.gif

This is how we would do it in the UK.
Not sure as you are in Canada.

Sponsored Links
Credit has to go to spark 123.
I just butchered his standard 2 way & inter with a bit of cut and paste.

a few points (note i'm going on US info here, i belive canada is basically the same but it might pay to check especially if your wiring is going to be inspected)

1: the amerians seem to prefer the end fed style of multi way switching (i don't know if this is required though)
2: the colors will be different with american cable (iirc their 3 and earth is white black and red)
3: i belive that in american wiring its the norm to use the repurposed neutral colored core for the permanent live rather than for the switched live as we brits do, i think it may even be a reg to do so.
4: i don't think loop in wiring is anywhere near as common in america
5: terminology is different, what we brits call a two way switch they call a three way switch, what we brits call an intermediate switch they call a four way switch.

but the basic principle remains the same, more than two locations is achived by using intermediate (known as four way in america) switches to swap the strappers that run between the two end switches.

Back