6 Zone valves. Is that a record?

S

Soggy_weetabix

I serviced a Potterton Kingfisher MF 100 today.

The house had a 22mm zone valve for hot water, and 5 YES 5 zones for the heating system. All was wired into 3 Randall 4033 programmers.

One room stat upstairs, and 4 downstairs. These were situated as follows:

One in hallway
One in lounge
One in dining room
One in kitchen

I hasten to add this was only a big 5 bedroomed house.

Oh, and Drayton TRV4's on every rad in the property.

Why would someone do that?

Every heating valve is under the floor apparently and all circulates by a Grundfos on speed 1!

Eccentricity, or plain stupidity?

David

Sponsored Links
I agree Dave.

Im in the process of trying to find said valves, bypass them and remove most of the room stats.

A wiring adventure for soggy me thinks.

Dave

well, post a piccy of the wiring centre. i need a larf. obviosly set your camera to "panoramic"

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to leave the zones alone. He has time and temp control of much of his house, he can isolate parts that are not being used - a great asset. Leave it alone. Don't try and fix something that does not need fixing. In fact removing them will degrade the system.

Many years ago I was involved in the design/installation of a new heating system in an old 7 bedroom farmhouse for an electrical consultant. Each room (15 in all) had it's own zone valve controlled by a room stat. On each openable window there were microswitches that shut the heating to that room down if a window was opened. The control panel was like the Enterprise's flight deck. There were lights to tell if (in each room) the stat was calling for heat, the stat was satisfied, the windows were opened. What with night set-back & frost protection the wiring was amazing.

The boiler plant was duplicated and could also serve the swimming pool complex. There were 4 hot water cylinders also with zone valves.

Took me nearly three months to just pipe it all up. :eek: All on time & materials I hasten to add.:cool:

(We also had to vacuum out the floor voids if we notched out joists, etc.)

havent these tw£ts heard of log burners?

i hate the rich. if that helps.

:LOL: ;) :LOL:

giblets said:
Many years ago I was involved in the design/installation of a new heating system in an old 7 bedroom farmhouse for an electrical consultant. Each room (15 in all) had it's own zone valve controlled by a room stat. On each openable window there were microswitches that shut the heating to that room down if a window was opened. The control panel was like the Enterprise's flight deck. There were lights to tell if (in each room) the stat was calling for heat, the stat was satisfied, the windows were opened. What with night set-back & frost protection the wiring was amazing.

Just a small, simple, commercial control system.

Many years ago I was involved in the design/installation of a new heating system in an old 7 bedroom farmhouse for an electrical consultant. Each room (15 in all) had it's own zone valve controlled by a room stat. On each openable window there were microswitches that shut the heating to that room down if a window was opened. The control panel was like the Enterprise's flight deck. There were lights to tell if (in each room) the stat was calling for heat, the stat was satisfied, the windows were opened. What with night set-back & frost protection the wiring was amazing

Can I have flashing lights on mine?
:LOL:

doctor drivel. did you make that name up or did someone suggest that to you?

i couldnt give a fekk about commercial /industrial sytems.

i honestly aint got the time. :cry: :LOL:

I've worked on a 4, and had to make it a 5 - pump for hot water and 4 zones (one for each floor).

We changed the boiler and had to fit a second pump - time didn't permit to go off looking for relays and whatnot so I used a Honeywell zone valve to act as a realy.

Works very nicely to! Thank god it was before part P though ;).

I've got a 12" thing with a hole through the middle, is that a record? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back