6mt full width extn. ridiculousness - again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my case, all I wanted was a nice straightforward 6m ground floor extension (I was going to do a loft conversion to gain the extra bedroom we needed) it would have been well below the maximum eaves height allowed and set in from the boundary and as the land rises up at the back of the houses by the time you got to 6m it would have been barely visible above a 6 foot fence, and 90% obscured by that big green bush in nextdoors garden (just to the left of the downpipe). Unfortunately, my neighbour, after umming and arring, objected and it was just blank refused (this was in the early stages of the scheme - I believe now it's slightly different as you pay a fee and get a bit of planning "input" if objections are received - ie they'll tell you what to change to make it acceptable).

So I had to fall back to a planning application (so I added the first floor bit as well), it was my idea to cut the corner off (it made it sort of meet the 45° rule) - the (same) planning officer said it was very large but said if I reduced the eaves height on the neighbours side to 2m (the same as a fence would be allowed), he would approve it). This was a bit of a compromise but I pushed it right out to the boundary and although it is low inside I've vaulted the ceiling and because the whole extension is massive (the back wall of the original house is coming out as well) it looks fine.

IMG_20230122_115250888.jpg

If I were you I'd forget the PN, it's not applicable in your case and life's too short. Submit a planning application with some regard to eaves height and distance from boundary/step in; regarding the depth, I failed to find my local authority guidance on this, the only thing I did find was an old refusal on a house down the road for either 4 or 4.5m. However, things seem to have changed recently (along with the type of owner of many of the houses) and we are now in the era of monster extensions that make mine look tiny! This ex 3 bed semi up the road now has 3 floors, 6 or 7 bedrooms, 3 receptions and 4 bathrooms!

IMG_20230122_120828912_HDR.jpg

Personally I think that 3.5m is ridiculous these days, when others with flat walls and friendly neighbours are allowed 6m - but I don't know whether this constitutes grounds for appeal (people suggest they take no notice of what so and so next door has been allowed), but I can't see that you have much to lose.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@freddiemercurystwin
When does an insignificant projection become a significant restriction?
Restriction, in that an insignificant projection restricts your abiility to claim a PD right for a full width, it seems even a 300mm projection restricts one ... which seems a ridiculour restriction ...

I will go see what case Law on this specific point argues ...

@cdbe thanks for all info, interesting, umm, I think with my projection I am stuck at a Full Plans, I will go see if the council are granting anything longer than 3.5 mts, which I have found in there design guidance.
Its interesting to see how the Officer helped you mitigate the visual impact by reducing the eaves height on the nieghbours side, who's idea was it for the pitched roof, that also appears to help mitigate any 'overbearing' ... in my mind anyway, and you also did the first floor in the same App ? ... what did your neighbour say when it was all up.
Thats a wide 1st floor extension on your neighbours !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No answers to offer really. Just an experience. Wanted a 5M deep extension accross the full width back of our semi approx 6.5M wide.

Tried the PN route with the "relaxed" requirements with out local council around 2016... Attached neighbours objected. Council agreed even though neighbours were out already 2.5M from original elevation. So we were only going 2.5M beyond them and what they had already built that far beyond our rear building line on the boundary.

As co-incidence would have it, we also had a 1980s two storey gable end extension covering 2.5M of the other side of the rear elevation. So the single storey extension was going to be L shaped, because of the the existing two storey gable extension (approx 2M x 2.5M).

Council didn't pick up on that aspect ironically in 2 PN apps, first rejection incorrectly sighted the height of the parapet wall as not complying with the 3M roof height The flat roof was 2.65M,, and then sighted the over bearing criteria rejection.

After our designer had some discussion with the council, we brought the extension back to 4.85M deep and shaved 0.3M at the boundary and used a false hip pitch roof under PN. Neighbour still objected, council still sided and rejected under the overbearing provision.

In the end, I submitted a full plans 3rd app (because a private planning consultant I spoke to said it technically didn't come under the PD rights) because of the existing rear extension on the rear elevation. I,e. the OP issue.

It was rejected by council in full plans on exactly the same grounds - overbearing, and we appealed full plans and it was allowed on appeal. Wish we had of cut out the difficulty and delay and frustration trying to give the council what they thought they wanted but actually didn't know what they wanted.

Since then, the neighbour of course had to build an extension the same as ours but just a little bit deeper, which the council approved first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links