70 quid to change immersion heat element?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was one of the quotes. In the end I paid £45 to someone else, having supplied the new element myself. Was this a rip off? Trying to work out if the guy is sound or not.

The old one was a b*tch to get out - but it didn't take too long.

He did the wiring too for the new one.

Bloke reckons I need a new boiler (to replace Thorn Apollo on low water content system) that is banging and shutting off. Done new pump / 3 way valve - no luck.

Says to install cast iron (not condenser) - wants to move position from current waist height to higher level in kitchen - means new hole for flue (even though current hole is over 300mm from window)

Won't give a quote, wants to give me an "estimate" as he says he doesn't know what he might encounter.

I'm bricking it really. And we're cold. :( What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
I'd say that is a fair price....you never know how much hassle that job will be and I'd imagine it wasn't a job he'd be very excited about taking on.

Very few people will give you a fixed price quote and if they do it will be fixed at the very top end of what they estimate...get three prices from installers with proven track records and pick the one you feel happiest with.

Can't think of a reason to reposition the boiler other than aesthetics and to save his back when installing although theres no guarantee that whatever new boiler you are having will fit the space the old one left.

Thanks ollski.

I suppose its a common worry, but I am concerned that:

1) the cause of the problem is not the boiler, and has not been investigated

2) the boiler could go in the old position, but moving it up and making a new hole for the flue gives the guy much more scope to go "oh dear, I didn't expect "x" or "y", that'll be another 500 quid"

As part of the installation he said he drain the system, clean it, add some inhibitor to the expansion tank, sort out some of the old thermostatic valves on the rads - but I reckon doing this without adding a new boiler might fix the problem..

Also - why is he telling me not to get a condenser? He reckons the others are "almost" as efficient.

Sponsored Links
:eek: :!:

Thanks curlydon - thats made me feel a bit better.

glad I don't live in midkent anymore then!

112 quid?!!! Is that site run by a gang of plumbers or something??!

£112 for an outside tap :eek: :eek: :eek:

I only charge £55 including DCV
I must review my prices :evil:

£70 is too cheap if he's a plumber who does just mending, so is effectively waiting for the phone to ring. Work out his annual salary - under £20kpa. What's the point of running a business for that?

(£50 profit x 3 per day = 750/week say 40 weeks/year = £30k gross profit. Overheads would be over 10k)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back