78" sliding doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to replace the sliders on a fitted wardrobe. The 3 sliding doors that I removed were very cheap chipboard with a thin veneer, and 78" by 30". They look like they are from a kit & therefore a standard size. But when I went to B&Q to find some snazzy replacements they only had Stanley door kits in 89" height.

Can anyone confirm if my 78s are indeed a standard, and where I might be able to get some blanks from?

cheers

Sponsored Links
SparkyTris said:
I went to B&Q to find some snazzy replacements they only had Stanley door kits in 89" height.
Can't see it on their website but can you not cut it down to 78"?

I thought 78's went out with the demise of the gramaphone
Ha bloody ha.

Can't see it on their website but can you not cut it down to 78?

That's what I thought but the examples I was looking at had borders etc. ie they were really snazzy, not just blanks. have you seen blanks?

Sponsored Links
Normally 78" is made to order or a carpenter has made them.

89" normally from floor to ceiling, I'm assuming you have a plinth on top of your 78" sliding doors? Could this be removed?

There is a company here for made to measure.

Yes, got a stud plinth to bring the level down to fit 78" sliders. Interesting, cos there are 3 such fitted lockers in the flat. The doors certainly are not made-to-measure, they are those 'orrible "hollow cardboard" jobs - no substance to them at all really. Must've got them as a job lot from some auction I reckon.

They are dinged & scraped on the front from abuse but the back is reasonable, so I'm going to turn 'em round and paint them. WHat's a good paint for crappy veneer?

Well many idea such as wood grain effect paint, mirror tiles, wall panelling, thin timber moulding your own design or thin plastic moulding decorative stick-on or wall panelling moulding or get a artist to paint picture etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back