7x1m external render... £2k..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stone build house, external render 7x1m between flat-roof and main roof, replace guttering and fascia.

Will need hacking off but this shouldn't be difficult as half of it could be kicked off...
Easy access through house as straight through from front-door to back-door, no tip-toeing needed as living-room needs doing anyway.

Plasterer/builder reckons on 3 coats and leadwork to cover the flashings on newly laid EPDM roof (which has been done by a reputable roofer).

£2k cash (at my suggestion & before quote given), no duration time only a start date. Wants £1k upfront for 'materials'....

Having worked in Purchase Ledger for a civils company I suspect that at the very least the 'materials' cost is questionable. He has shunted a job to do mine.. presumably as there is far more margin to be made from me.

South Wales valleys has one of lowest living costs in UK... am I being rooked here??

Sponsored Links
yeh yeh.. i know

Am in a tricky situation.. very small community.. people/families easily offended if you don't buy local (am born and bred here).. think WickerMan country but with more 'politics' and long-lasting resentment... considered as a bit strange if yer not into rugby/sport.. am sure The League Of Gentlemen series was partly based on semi-rural Wales.

Published figures online suggest £30/m2 mats&lab appropriate for the area.... so am reluctant to ask just how this stacks up to £2k

Thought I'd ask on here before risking social exclusion..

Excluding anything particularly unusual about the job... what kinda figures should I be looking at..?

Last edited:
That seems expensive to me.
How many days does he expect to finish that job in?

Materials would be cheap, sand and cement, you mention lead work... is that to add new or modify existing?

Are you having sand and cement render?

Sponsored Links
@Mr Chibs
The lead across the whole length came off with the asbestos (gonna make me some sea-fishing weights with it).. am absolutely sure roofer would have let me know if new lead needed to overlap the flashings that he put on as part of the flatroof.
No timescale, only a start date. Render to be 3 coats, standard cement.. no silicone etc

@Alastairreid
That's about the highest figure that I could come up with....
I was wondering if I was missing something or losing my faculties

..and thanks for your responses.. keep 'em coming cos I'm not out of the woods yet! (y)

@lostinthelight
'wrong head on'... this is exactly why i asked on here (y)
Was starting to question my sanity regarding basic maths...

By the sounds of it £2k isn't just top whack.. but seriously taking the mick

How is he accessing the works?

scaffold by a separate contractor?

Ask him for a basic breakdown of his costs, if he runs a mile then you’ll know he was ripping a hole out of you.

If I was you I wouldn’t give a monkeys about upsetting people if you are getting ripped.

Wants £1k upfront for 'materials'..

71QIJ-faz2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No scaffolding involved
Access is straight line through one already battered room and a 2m lobby both due to be re-done anyway so have stated tip-toeing not necessary.. the roofers managed no problem with bringing through 4m lengths of wood and shipping out the asbestos sheets
I don't mind bankrolling the materials on a job (sometimes you gotta go with the flow..) but £1k is a lorry load of stuff... (o_O)
Only 2 subs away from the roofer (100% fella!).. I naively assumed a broadly similar level of ethics. Doh

Got someone else coming today.. am a hopefully a bit more clued up this time..

No scaffolding involved
Access is straight line through one already battered room and a 2m lobby both due to be re-done anyway so have stated tip-toeing not necessary.. the roofers managed no problem with bringing through 4m lengths of wood and shipping out the asbestos sheets
I don't mind bankrolling the materials on a job (sometimes you gotta go with the flow..) but £1k is a lorry load of stuff... (o_O)
Only 2 subs away from the roofer (100% fella!).. I naively assumed a broadly similar level of ethics. Doh

Got someone else coming today.. am a hopefully a bit more clued up this time..[

by access I was referring to actually getting the material on the wall.

so it’s sounds like they can board out the flat roof and use that as their platform and the section is only a mtr high above that roof?

Two days work tops for two guys I’d imagine to strip and render again, replacing the gutter/fascia... if not done in a day.

One of the guys here can probably tell you exactly what the render and lead should cost in materials.

Are you replacing the gutter as opposed to removing and reinstalling ... is it plastic or aluminium ?

No reputable builder/plasterer would ask money upfront unless it's a big build i.e extension etc .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back