90 degree angle driver attachment for drills-any xperiences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
ive seen an attachment in maplins that screw onto a drill to make it a 90 degree-perfect for drilling holes in joists-£110 cheaper than the real thing.
im doing underfloor heating in a self build,so dont want to buy/hire the full monty-will only be using for maybe a day.
have you used one-or know of another that may be better?
cheers

Sponsored Links
unless you go for a very good quality one, they are a waste of money. i would advise you to hire a dedicated right angle drill. If you do buy the attatchment (which is really only for light work) remember to use low speed.

If you were to shorten the shank (cut a bit off) of an ordinary spade bit would there be any chance of your standard drill fitting in? even at a slight angle using a bigger bit? just a thought.

Attachnments are ok for small holes only. I bought a £180 Hitachi 400W right angled drill. Using 25mm spade bits I burned it out all too quickly. The bits will stall unless there's lots of torque available. Use a standard diy drill, hopefully with gearbox, and cut-off spade bits, or hire the right tool which is usually the makita 6300. I now have a makita - current model 6400LR I think, which has bags of torque but quite slow. Unstoppable with auger bits though.

If you don't mind takingf a tad more time you can use hole saws, which are short, from both sides ofthe joist if necessary having got a pilot bit through. Those work with any drill. Use the circular ones (!) ie not the bent round really cheap ones.

Sponsored Links
thanks 4 replies-couple of queries...
how much is the makita you are using?
what do you mean by the"cheap bent holesaws" ?
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back