A bit of code

I

Igorian

Hi guys

One of my clients has a photocopier/scanner in one of their branches which will scan images and deliver then via FTP to a folder on a server server in HO. The file names have a standard format, part of which contains a candidate number. I need a script that will:

1) scan the folder for files and extract the candidate number.
2) Create a folder with the same name as the candidate number and move the file into this folder, keeping the original filename. The folder may or may not exist as it's possible for more than one document to exist with the same candidate number, although other parts of the name will make it unique.
3) The script will probably run as a scheduled task on the server, although it may need to be run ad-hoc from a remote workstation.
4) I could do with it for Tuesday!

Probably not a difficult task, but then neither is flying a plane, if you know how and Windows programming is not my bag. If anyone fancies a crack, then please let me know and i'll provide more details.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
I can do you one, but unfortunately not for Tuesday. Email me if you have more time and want me to do it.

You need it as a script or would a small executable do (C++ i can do, scripting not so much)? Could probably knock you up a small executable today although extensive testing on it would be tight. Let me know if you are interested in me having a crack by about 4ish (I reckon it'll take about 30min to do and I go home at 5 where I don't have a compiler to hand at the moment following a PC rebuild)

OllieN said:
You need it as a script or would a small executable do (C++ i can do, scripting not so much)? Could probably knock you up a small executable today although extensive testing on it would be tight. Let me know if you are interested in me having a crack by about 4ish (I reckon it'll take about 30min to do and I go home at 5 where I don't have a compiler to hand at the moment following a PC rebuild)

That would be cool. The scanner is on demo for 10 days and i'm only there for 2 days within that period. It only has to be noddy to prove to the FD that it can work as he wants it. The final code can be improved later if needed. Email me your phone number (address in my profile and i''ll give you the filename formats and any other info you need.

Softus, thanks for the offer, but time is limited as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
The running it remotely might cause a bit of a head ache, how do you intend running it remotely ? Net use, remote desktop ?

Eddie M said:
The running it remotely might cause a bit of a head ache, how do you intend running it remotely ? Net use, remote desktop ?

I'm not sure this will be required. Currently, the client sends the scanned docs to a 3rd party who then produce all the stuff on CDs. This takes a week or so to process. I'm kind of thinking of running it as a scheduled task at the end of day, so that the stuff is available, in the correct folders, for the following day. Gotta be an improvement.

Ollie has produced some code, which i'm about to test.

OllieN said:

Thanks Ollie, the exe works a treat. I owe ya one.

I agree, do it as an exe. Parsing the filename in a script might be tricky. Probably be easier to make the code run on schedule otherwise you need to keep polling the folder for changes.

thats the way i see it anyway.

Igorian said:
OllieN said:

Just one thing to note, and absolutely no offence intended to Ollie, are your clients happy running an unknown unsupported unverified exe on their systems? Our security dept here would have kittens :D

Eddie M said:
Igorian said:
OllieN said:

Just one thing to note, and absolutely no offence intended to Ollie, are your clients happy running an unknown unsupported unverified exe on their systems? Our security dept here would have kittens :D

You don't run Windows in your gaff then? :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back