a cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read info on radiators from other messages on this site, but cannot find the exact answer to my problem! Was wondering if anyone could help. Before I start I must say that my knowledge of radiators is extremely limited, so please bear with my simple explanations!

I live in a flat all on one level. I have 6 radiators that are all beautifully warm, and one in the spare bedroom that is freezing. I have bleed the radiator. It hasnt helped. I have also made sure that the thermostat valve is letting water flow into the radiator. It is as when I turn the thermostat up, water comes out of the valve at the other end of the radiator (it is not leaking, I have opened the valve). The water doesnt flow out extremely quickly, more a slow pace.
When I have been draining the water out of this valve, the radiator has slowly been warming up. But when I close it so the water is not coming out, the radiator does not remain warm.
So I am guessing their is a blockage somewhere? If anyone could help I would much appreciate!

Sponsored Links
Hi -
... When you say you are 'draining the water out of the valve' at the other end of your radiator, what exactly do you mean? Have you disconnected the pipework from the valve, and opened the valve to allow water to flow out into eg. a bucket?

Also, has this radiator EVER worked properly? Was it professionally fitted? Some (most)thermostatic valves are uni-directional; ie, they will only allow water to flow properly in one direction, which is often marked on the valve body with an arrow. If the valve is back to front, you may well have restricted flow. Water will always take the easiest path - if it's easier to flow right on past your radiator (throught the pipework underfloor) than to flow through that radiator, then that's what will happen. No (or limited) flow through = no heat transfer.

Check that the lock-shield valve is open - the one on the opposite side to the thermostatic valve. It may have a protective cover over it. Start by opening it one full turn, and then increase or decrease it as required. To adjust it set the thermo valve to max, (or better, remove the head from it)and close the lockshield valve progressively until the pipe under the lockshield valve starts to cool. Then open it back a bit.

If this doesn't help, then it sounds like you have a blocked pipe somewhere, and the heating system will need a good flushing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back