A gas question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just a couple of questions regarding gas pipe installation. I don't work on gas, and don't have any intention to undertake any DIY gas. My questions are just theoretical ones.

If a gas pipe is installed, and there is found to be a leak in a soldered joint. Would the pipe need to be disconnected from meter, and all appliances, and then ventilated for some time before a new joint could be soldered to repair leak?

My other question is, do gas installers generally work out the gas pipe sizing very accurately by calculating lengths of runs, number of joints etc? Or is there a bit of guess work involved? Ok this leads me to another question. If for instance another appliance is added at a latter date, would the whole of the existing gas carcass need re piping?

Cheers for any info.

Sponsored Links
If a gas pipe is found to have a leak , then there are certain things we do, sorry wont go into it for fear you may attempt this yourself.

Gas installers work out the gas rates to all appliances and size pipe accordingly, we also go a little over for future appliances, no guesswork involved.

Oversizing to reduce need to recarcass. ;)

This seems to be a very detailed question for anyone to "just wonder".

I just cannot believe you have gone to the trouble of posting this just for fun.

Its far better to explain the background to anything like this.

Unless you explain it to us I will be left thinking the worst that someone has done a job for you and you are now trying to concoct an excuse for not paying him!

Agile said:
I just cannot believe you have gone to the trouble of posting this just for fun.
Phew! Fortunately, it doesn't matter whether or not you believe it.

Sponsored Links
Quite seriously, if you disconnect a gas pipe from a meter without precautions you wouldn't guess at, it might explode in your face. Don't.

Gas pipe sizing charts are online, but are all very optimisic.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I guess by posting such a question I was going to get suspicions aroused that I would be undertaking gas work when not qualified.

I guess I should explain that i'm a self employed plumber. I don't work on gas, but I have read a bit about it in preparation for hopefully doing the ACS assessments. In some of the books I have read the explanations are very theoretical in nature, and not very practical. Anyway the questions I posted were just 'what if' questions.

I know enough about gas to know that I won't be undertaking any unqualified gas work, and that i'll wait until I have the relevant experience with an RGI, and completed the relevant ACS assessments.

Cheers again for any replies.
Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back