A Kilo of Nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how many nails there were in a kilo? Obviously, it depends on the size etc, so for example, how many 2" galvanised nails would one get in a Kilo?

Sponsored Links
why not weigh one and divide a kilo by the amount you now know?

(ideally you should weigh more than one to get an average)

Well, you can estimate it as such:

Your 2" nail. Let's say it has a shank diameter of 2mm, and let's approximate 2" to 50mm.

Rmembering your secondary school maths, the volume of the nail shank is the cross-sectional area multiplied by the length,

Shank volume = (pi * 1^2) * 50 = about 160mm^3

The head of the nail, let's say it is 6mm across and 1mm high.

Head volume = (pi * 3^2) * 1 = about 30mm^3

So the total volume of one nail is 190 cubic mm.

The density of a high-carbon steel is about 7850 kg per cubic metre. Thus one kilogram of steel has a volume of 1/7850 of a cubic metre.

To convert cubic metres to cubic mm, multiply by 1000 3 times:

(1/7850) * 1000^3 = 127,000 mm^3

So, one nail has a volume of 190 cubic mm. Our kilogram of nails has a total volume of 127000 cubic mm. Let's do some more arithmetic:

127000/190 = about 670 nails.

So, a kilogram of the arbitrary 2" nails I just invented, consists of 670 nails.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, very good, weigh a 100, do the maths, will still be more accurate. nails are not uniform in any way shape or form. ;)

Ah, but you see, I am an analyst. This means that I make a list of educated assumptions and then work to these.

Why should I have to change my answer because real nails aren't as perfect as my nail volume/mass model? Real-world stuff like weighing things is what I get the engineers to do ;)

AdamW said:

So, a kilogram of the arbitrary 2" nails I just invented, consists of 670 nails.

That approximation will do me - since I don't have 100 nails to weigh!

Thanks

Tim

If you did have 100 nails to weigh, they would weigh 149 grammes ;)

......nails are not uniform in any way shape or form.

Well if you get out of IT and into the real world, you might be surprised at how uniform mass-produced items are.

Come on Guys it made me smile, but there must be people out there that do need expert advice. :LOL:

AdamW said:
Well, you can estimate it as such:

Your 2" nail. Let's say it has a shank diameter of 2mm, and let's approximate 2" to 50mm.

Rmembering your secondary school maths, the volume of the nail shank is the cross-sectional area multiplied by the length,

Shank volume = (pi * 1^2) * 50 = about 160mm^3

The head of the nail, let's say it is 6mm across and 1mm high.

Head volume = (pi * 3^2) * 1 = about 30mm^3

So the total volume of one nail is 190 cubic mm.

The density of a high-carbon steel is about 7850 kg per cubic metre. Thus one kilogram of steel has a volume of 1/7850 of a cubic metre.

To convert cubic metres to cubic mm, multiply by 1000 3 times:

(1/7850) * 1000^3 = 127,000 mm^3

So, one nail has a volume of 190 cubic mm. Our kilogram of nails has a total volume of 127000 cubic mm. Let's do some more arithmetic:

Adam,

great, can you help my daughter with her maths homework!!! :eek:

She's 11! :D

mildmanneredjanitor said:
can you help my daughter with her maths homework!!! :eek:

She's 11! :D

To be honest I would probably be rubbish at Year 7 maths, I never got good at it until GCSE so long division passed me by completel!

But I have a Physics degree now so I guess that could count for lost time ;)

If there are any homework questions she is stuck on that you can't get your head round, I am sure people here would love to have a go!

AdamW said:
But I have a Physics degree now so I guess that could count for lost time ;)

Don't fall for the hype guys, these Physicy people just sling in a constant when their sums don't add up, Avogadro...what's he all about then???

Best way to see if your weighed nails are a bargain is to look at the bag, if there's loads and not much cash...it's a good deal!!!

Glocko the tightwad
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back