a new plaster board ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If replacing a small ceiling (all in one piece) with plaster board, do you need to skim it before painting?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
No - you can paint directly on plasterboard.
Even on large ceilings, most builders nowadays just tape and skim the joints, not the entire ceiling. If you have no joints you don't need to even do this, although you will probably want to fill the nail holes. There are special fillers for doing this - check at you local builders providers.

he,s had bodgitt & scarper round at his house only skimming the joints ha!ha! dont make me laugh........

Sponsored Links
I live in a new house and all the plaster board has taped joints and direct painting, without a skim. You can't see the joints. The finish is perfect.

I would ask your local building supplier.

I think you get a decorating side and a plastering side.

I also think there is a type of decorating tape available. Just check.

its called dry lining the joints are taped then it is skimmed no one paints plasterboard

I also live in a new house, built in 2002, all the walls and ceilings are dry-lined. However the builder did not skim any plasterboard. The joints and nail-holes are taped and skimmed, but that's it. The plasterboard itself is painted (2 coats of matt emulsion), and the finish is absolutely perfect. You could not find the joints if you tried.

dry lined walls are always skimmed thats why you cant see the joints take it from me im a dryliner.

Not in this case mate. I stood in my living room and watched the painters put on the first coat of paint. I was very skeptical about the lack of skimming, but the builder explained that doing it this way saved him a lot of labour and also the drying time. He assured me that the finish would be perfect, and offered to get a plasterer in at his expense if I was not satisified. He was right. The joints were taped and skimmed with a white finishing compound - I can't remember the name of it - it came in bags of powder from the same manufacturer as the plasterboard. They used the same stuff to hide the nail holes.

Shop fitters and office fitters rarely skim either. Use tapered edge boards, fill gaps and nail holes with joint cement (comes in powder form or ready mixed up), sand flat and paint. Er that's it.

I would not use this technique in my own house, but it is personal preferance. Wouldn't recommend wallpapering directly onto plasterboard though unless you never want to get it off again.

I purchased a new house and noticed after moving in that the walls had visible nail indents in many places and that ripples occured in areas. The paint seems applied directly onto the plasterboard. Even the external walls are the same. Builder doesn't want to know about it!

i dont care what anyone says it is not good practice to paint straight on to plasterboard without skimming it, this is just a way of making less work,it might look alright when it is first done but how long will it last,traditional ways of building are the best you only have to compare the older houses........time served builder.

does anyone know if it's ok to tile straight onto plastereboard? i appreciate it maybe trashing the whole thing should u want to re-tile in the future, but other than that, can it be an strong enough fixing to the plasterboard?

I have just bought a house in South Wales (Rhoose) and as a fairly experienced DIYer (not plasterer) I have noticed they have painted straight to gyproc in certain parts. I can see the joint colour under the thin layer of paint and although it looks bad now, a good lick of paint will hide it.

I do think long term you should skim, its more durable........I have painted plasterboard myself where I box in pipes and take it from me, if you cork properly the finish is faultless.

If in doubt whip down the DIY shop, buy a piece of plasterboard and paint it in your garage/shed, youll be surprised how good it is.

Plasering is definately the right way to do it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back