A simple way to calculate cable runs + breaker rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question?
Firstly I will be doing my 2381 end of this year!

But I would like to ask the following question based on current regs.
Is there a hand held device (apart from a notepad) that you can pre-program with current regs data for running domestic cables?
That is, safety depends on having the right size breaker for cable csa + wattage used in the circuit (and any derating needed).
EASY for a pro, but for a novice quite tricky! So what do you think, is there an instrument that can do this and speed things up for me??

Mike :)

Sponsored Links
Good idea..........

Until the battery goes flat in the middle of a job and there is no way to re-charge it on site...

programmable calculator perhaps. can you still get them.

I used to have one made by Sinclair and as I remember it worked quite well.

I prefer a notepad and pencil though.

Good luck

Do you know what the score is with the 2381? There is a new set of regs coming out at the start of next year, wondering if it is the case of sitting a new exam or a refresher course?

Sponsored Links
A very reasonable idea. I've seen a sort of programmed calculator that will calculate roof truss angles, lengths, timber sizing and stuff

(p.s. I've always though that domestic cable sizes are usually guessed "32A cooker? Yeah, 6mm will do ya" unless the runs are unusally long)

A laptop with Excel works for me. It isn't quite hand-held, but runs off an inverter when sitting in the car.

Softus, that sounds like a very good idea!
I was thinking along those lines but was unsure of whether Excel could do it. I was doing to get a laptop to hold all my pdf's whilst on site to look up boiler specs.
I will now try to work the equations to suit!
Cheers
Mike

there are some quite good palm programs out there for doing this..
cable calc was one i believe.. also one for recording test results to upload to a computer for printing..

with the new generations of mobile phones running on windows CE ( or whatever it's called ) then one of those might be a good idea..

Yeah, thanks for that, will look into it.
Started an Excel doc, having a go at copper pipe lengths as a starter. Must say maths is not a strong point, thus once I have something set up I trust more than paper and pen after a morning hacking out chases in a dusty wall!

Wow, looks tip-top to me and at that price the outlay can soon be made back as time saved!
Yes, I will have to "do my sums" for my C&G but thats no sweat for a course. Guess its just a case of what ever works best for each person?
I am poor at concentrating on sums when knackered, so this useful!
Cheers for all contributions :D
Mike

If you have a laptop, what many will say you want on it is Amtech single cable but its pricey, its also available for PDA devices though

Keep meaning to have a crack at programming something to too dissimilar in VB, but it would be quite a large project as you very quickly find yourself having to approximate time/current curves for the adibatic (and thats before you start trying to get I²t data from different breaker manufacters, etc)

I'm afraid it probably won't happen as I find it easy enough to calculate it manually

Spark123 said:
Do you know what the score is with the 2381? There is a new set of regs coming out at the start of next year, wondering if it is the case of sitting a new exam or a refresher course?

I hear there will be 2 exams, one for those without 16th edition, and another version for those with.
Why be worried about the pass mark? I believe its generous, and with practice you should do well as you get the choice of 4 answers, and are allowed to look it up.
Heres a useful link if it hasn't been posted here already

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381.htm

I'm not that worried about the pass mark ;) , just wondered if it was worth taking the exam prior to the change in the regs and it being a waste of money. I passed the 2381 back in 2005.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back