Accident-Prone Americans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just come back from a week in America and, amongst other stories that I picked up whilst over there.....

1) Three people were killed when a light-aircraft crashed into a car

2) A greyhound bus flipped over, seriously injuring 34

3) Two American children are killed EVERY DAY by being reversed over in their own driveways

4) Four Scoutmasters were killed when they inadvertently touched a tent-pole onto a pylon at a jamboree

All of these stories were very minor items on the local news. I've been over there may times, and there is always this constant drip of stories about people having the sort of rogue accidents which would make the national news over here.

America only has about four times our population, though I think they do tend to bunch together a lot more and are possibly falling over each other, but this level of accident seems freakishly high. 3) can maybe be explained by having such big vehicles, but does anyone have any idea why else the accident rate could be as high as it seems.

Another 'stat' that I caught was outside a church. They had rows of white crosses, and then a banner stating that 721 American children are killed 'by choice' EVERY HOUR. I presumed that meant abortion, but that figure equates to 6.3m every year, or roughly 1 in 20 American women (probably about 1 in 8 of child-bearing age) having an abortion every year. That can't be right, can it ?? Even if the sign had said every day instead of every hour, I'd still be very doubtful.

Sponsored Links
According to "National Right to Life", a US anti-abortion group, there have been 40M abortions since 1973. That would suggest that the 721 per hour figure is somewhat inflated... However, assuming that those 40M have been spread out equally over 32 years, that is still 143 per hour.

*WARNING*whilst having no apparent pictures, that website has graphic descriptions of various abortion techniques, don't read it if you don't want to know about it.

Is it because their health and safety and road standards are not as good as ours? Or that their reporting of such accidents is better than ours? :eek:

"health+safety" ******...used to be called common sense... :)

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
"health+safety" ****...used to be called common sense... :)
you are perfectly correct, even health and safety experts say that most of the regs are basically common sense, just need to educate people to use it occasionally :)

I think you would find that the original 15 EU member states have similar figures for accidents, although they may have different causes due to local conditions and culture.

Here are some UK figures..

In 2004, for women resident in England and Wales:

the total number of abortions was 185,400, compared with 181,600 in 2003, a rise of 2.1%
the age-standardised abortion rate was 17.8 per 1,000 resident women aged 15-44 (17.5 in 2003)
the abortion rate was highest, at 31.9 per 1000, for women in the 18-19 and 20-24 age groups
the under-16 abortion rate was 3.7 compared with 3.9 in 2003. The under-18 rate was 17.8 compared with 18.2 in 2003
82% of abortions were funded by the NHS; of these, just over half (51%) took place in the independent sector under NHS contract
88% of abortions were carried out at under 13 weeks gestation; 60% were at under 10 weeks
medical abortions accounted for 19% of the total compared with 17% in 2003
1,900 abortions (1%) were under ground E, risk that the child would be born handicapped

Now if you take into account the US population, some 255 Million, and the population for England and Wales, some 53 Million then the figures for the US are not so alarming. The UK figures imply we have 21.3 Abortions per hour of every day, the US is about 140 abortions per hour of every day.

If you then take into account population sizes, the difference actually melt away very rapidly.

jtaunton said:
3) Two American children are killed EVERY DAY by being reversed over in their own driveways

I heard this one recently, it's because of the high proportion of SUV's with very limited rear visibility.

Just 'stumbled' on this site

It's not only US of A, but a 'worldly phenomenal (*&^%^ where's my dictionary!) it seems.

ON the Driveway......another message to be imprinted on your MPV dash........Objects(children)NOT visible thru` the windshield...may be closer to your (4x4)ass than you think...

Nige F said:
ON the Driveway......another message to be imprinted on your MPV dash........Objects(children)NOT visible thru` the windshield...may be closer to your (4x4)ass than you think...

The Nissan rear view cam' is good.
:D

Sponsored Links
Back