Accidents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the kitchen place i used to work. The factory foreman was edging up some panels on an automatic edge bander and managed to get his finger caught in it. The machine then cut 3mm of the end, milled 2mm off, then applied boiling hot glue, then edging tape, then trimmed the edging tape around his finger. Wasnt very pleasant at all.

andy

Sponsored Links
i did three of mine with a hedge trimmer a few years ago. i got disturbed by someone whilst using them, slip of concentration and ouch. Luckily i didnt take them off, buti ive lost the feeling in the top of one of my left fingers. lucky really, cos since then ive managed to drill into it and nip the end with a nail fired from a paslode gun. Good job i had no feeling in it. I find most accidents occur when your knackered or in a rush. :LOL:

Of course my other favourite was breaking two ribs about 3 months ago because whilst ripping down some 4 x 2 on my table saw i decided that i should really use a push stick. Now i never normally use one and i think because i did my concentration switched off a bit, it hit the blade and shot back like a bullet straight into my ribs...ouch (so yes you can be too careful!) :rolleyes:

Three months ago I went to do a boiler repair for a Landlord in his tenanted flat.

He was telling me he had just left the Army after 24 years and was in a front line tank maintenance unit. His team had the 12th "tank" but instead of the gun it had a crane and a workshop and spares inside. He had been in the frontline in Iraq 1991 and 2005 and Bosnia and Northern Ireland.

He had to keep fit for the annual fitness test involving running five miles, three miles with a 90 lb backpack. He had always passed with no problems. He had never been shot or injured during his 24 years Army service.

I had to return on a second visit with a spare part for his boiler. I called him to arrange an appointment but he said he had a problem and could not get there.

He had broken his leg! Running for the number 12 bus !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Best one I have seen was during my training at a train builder. One guy sticking cork on floor bearers at one end of the train with contact adhesive, another guy doing some welding 60 feet away at the other end of the vehicle.

Would think they were far enough apart to be safe but the welding arc lit the fumes from the contact adhesive - took the first guy's eyebrows off.

Ever since I have always been very careful with contact adhesive

Will you just look at that - 31 days between the last two posts. :eek:

Lynda will be jumping on you for doing this, and I don't mean in a nice way. :evil:

AdamW said:
I might only work in an office, but I managed to nip myself with a pair of scissors once. And I occasionally burn my tongue if I drink my coffee too quickly...

OK, so the circular saw/fingers story wins ;)

Good to keep the stories coming, I am generally very careful with power tools and these stories will help to keep me that way!

As your from the Vatican city why dont you try drinking Pope-si-cola..you wont burn your tongue then

Zampa said:
As your from the Vatican city why dont you try drinking Pope-si-cola..you wont burn your tongue then
I don't think I've ever read anything that made me groan that bad Zampa! Keep up the good work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back