Achieving a 'distressed' finish on antique furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post but I've been getting advise from the forums for some time now.

My wife has decided that she wants to buy a sideboard for the dining room which has this 'shabby chic' look to it. So we have been looking for some old furniture and have found several pieces for very reasonable prices but these have the original varnished finish.

Can anyone give me some advise how to paint the furniture to achieve this finish. We will be painting it white/off-white and it will have a distressed look.

I've looked all over the internet but have only found places selling furniture already like this.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you put 'distressed' in a search you will see my reply to the same question not long ago. Hope this helps.

Scream at it for ten minutes...always works on the wife!

Ok ok...seriously..

Couple of ways you can do it..

One..wipe on some vaseline or candle wax of the edges here and there..paint it...then run a scraper over those bits...the paint will come off easily revealing the bare wood underneath....

or......

Paint it with a couple of coats of acrylic primer undercoat and then sand edges down here and there then go over it with a couple of coats of acrylic galze to protect it

Ok ok...seriously..

One..wipe on some vaseline or candle wax of the edges here and there..paint it...then run a scraper over those bits...the paint will come off easily revealing the bare wood underneath....

or......

Paint it with a couple of coats of acrylic primer undercoat and then sand edges down here and there then go over it with a couple of coats of acrylic galze to protect it

Sponsored Links

Ok ok...seriously..

or......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back